2021 JAPAN SWIM (OLYMPIC TRIALS)
- Saturday, April 3rd – Saturday, April 10th
- Tokyo Olympic Aquatics Centre
- LCM (50m)
- Japan’s Sole Olympic-Qualifying Opportunity
- JASF Olympic Selection Policy
- SwimSwam Preview
- Day 1 Recap/Day 2 Recap/Day 3 Recap
- Live Results
- Live Stream (Prelims Only)
More speedy performances came out of the Japan Swim tonight in Tokyo, the meet which stands as the nation’s sole Olympic-qualifying opportunity. There were only 4 finals tonight but the races produced 4 additional Olympic qualifiers through 3 days of this Trials meet.
31-year-old Olympic medalist Ryosuke Irie got it done for gold in the men’s 100m backstroke, with his winning result of 53.13 snagging a spot on his 3rd Games roster. He’ll also race the backstroke leg on Japan’s men’s medley relay with his victory here.
Two women got under the Olympic-qualification standard in the 100m breast, led by 2016 Olympian Kanako Watanabe. Watanabe cleared the threshold in 1:06.51 while Reona Aoki was a fingernail behind in 1:06.56.
Finally, Katsuo Matsumoto put on a show in the men’s 200m free event to kick-off the action. Matsumoto got into the 1:44-zone for the first time in his career, joining the exclusive club with a new national record of 1:44.65. The men’s 800m free relay is in doubt, however, as no other man got under the relay standard of 1:47.08 set forth by the Japanese Swimming Federation (JASF).
Unofficial Japanese Olympic Roster:
- Yuki Ikari – men’s 400m IM
- Yui Ohashi – women’s 400m IM
- Daiya Seto – men’s 200m IM/400m IM (officially pre-qualified)
- Ageha Tanigawa – women’s 400m IM
- Waka Kobori – women’s 400m free
- Miyu Namba – women’s 400m free
- Rikako Ikee – women’s medley relay (fly)
- Shoma Sato – men’s medley relay (breast)
- Katsuo Matsumoto – men’s 200m free
- Kanako Watanabe – women’s 100m breast, medley relay
- Reona Aoki – women’s 100m breast
- Ryosuke Irie – men’s 100m back, medley relay
- Konosuke Yanagimoto – men’s 800m free relay
- Kosuke Hagino – men’s 800m free relay
- Takahashi Kotaro – men’s 800m free relay