Courtesy: Indiana Athletics
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana University water polo team completed the sweep of the 2021 Hoosier Invite on Sunday afternoon, beating Salem University, 17-4, at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington, Ind.
With the victory, Indiana moves to 4-0 on the season, while Salem falls to 0-4 on the year.
- Junior Izzy Mandema matched her career-high with five goals and added two steals to lead the Hoosiers against Salem.
- Sophomore Katherine Hawkins matched her career-highs with three goals, two assists and three steals, while classmate Zoe Crouch had a career-best three goals and five assists.
- In goal, junior Mary Askew earned the win, making four saves and allowing just one goal. Classmate Sarah Greeven posted a scoreless 10:29 minutes of action with three saves, while freshman Haley Hunter allowed just three goals in 13:27 minutes and set a career mark with five stops.
- Junior Lauren Etnyre scored two goals and set a personal-best mark with four steals.
- The Hoosiers have won 14-straight games, a school record, dating back to the 2020 season.
- With the victory, Indiana has started 4-0 to begin the season for the first time since 2014 when the team began the year 6-0.
- Indiana’s 67 goals in the team’s first four games of the season are the most in program history. The previous best was 55 in 2014.
- IU’s 20 goals allowed are the second-fewest surrendered in the team’s first four contests of the year. Indiana allowed just 11 goals in the first four games of the 1998 season.
- Also with the win, the Hoosiers improve to 7-0 in the overall series with Salem.
- Freshman Kiki Mein had a goal and a career-best five assists for the Hoosiers, while fellow rookie Kallie White had one goal, one assist and two steals.
- Sophomore Robyn Greenslade added a goal and matched her PR with two steals, while Lanna Debow also had one score for IU.
- Indiana will hit the road and head north to Ann Arbor, Mich. for a tournament with Michigan, Saint Francis and Salem on Feb. 20-21. Times for the game are TBA.
PREVIOUS GAME RECAP
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana University water polo team set a program record on Sunday afternoon at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center, winning the team’s 13th-straight game with a 17-8 victory over Saint Francis in the Hoosier Invite.
With the win, Indiana moves to 3-0 on the season, while Saint Francis falls to 2-2 on the year.
- After taking a 4-2 lead after the first quarter, the Hoosiers seized control of the game with a dominant second quarter. IU out-scored the Red Flash, 5-1, in the period to take a 9-3 lead at halftime.
- Juniors Izzy Mandema matched her career-high with five goals to go with an assist and two steals, while classmate Tina Doherty also had five scores along with a pair of assists and a steal to lead the Hoosier attack.
- In goal, Mary Askew earned the win, making two saves and allowing three goals in 16:00 minutes of action.
- Freshman Kallie White netted a career-best three goals and had an assist, while sophomore Katherine Hawkins totaled two scores, an assist and a personal-best three steals.
- The Hoosiers’ 13-game win-streak is a school record, eclipsing the mark set in the 12-game stretch set during the 2014 season. IU won the last 10 games of the 2020 season prior to the cancellation of the remaining contests.
- With the victory, Indiana has started 3-0 to begin the season for the first time since 2014 when the team began the year 6-0.
- Also with the win, the Hoosiers improve to 6-0 in the overall series with Saint Francis.
- Sophomore Zoe Crouch had a goal and two assists, while junior Lauren Etnyre finished out the scoring for the Hoosiers with one score and a steal.
- Sophomore Lanna Debow had a career-high four assists, while Askew and freshman Kiki Mein matched their personal-bests with one assist in the victory.
- Indiana will conclude the 2021 Hoosier Invite in Bloomington, Ind. against Salem at 2:00 p.m. ET.