2021 13-14 & Open Michigan Swimming Summer State Championships
- When: July 23-25, 2021
- Where: Holland Community Aquatic Center, Holland, Michigan
- Short Course Yards, Prelims/Finals
- Results on Meet Mobile: “2021 13-14 & Open MS Summer State Championships” or search “Holland”
- PDF Results
This year’s Michigan Swimming Summer State Championships, usually held as a long course meters championship, was held as short course yards for both prelims and finals. Numerous state records were broken over the weekend.
One state record was broken by Club Wolverine’s Hannah Bellard. Bellard, a Wave II trials qualifier in the 200 butterfly, finished with a time of 4:41.24 in the 500 yard freestyle. That swim broke Lola Mull’s 15-16 Michigan LSC record of 4:43.35, and was a lifetime best for Bellard by 14.20 seconds. It also places Bellard 28th overall in the 15-16 USA swimming all-time rankings in the 500 freestyle. Bellard is typically a butterflier, with best long course times of 1:00.25 in the 100 and 2:12.50 in the 200. Recently, Bellard has made great strides in mid-distance freestyle. At the beginning of July she achieved what would have been a Wave I trials cut in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:01.59. On the Club Wolverine 800 freestyle relay, Bellard anchored in a time of 1:47.68. She was joined by Lily Cleason leading off in 1:52.76, Julia Tuinman swam a 1:53.55, and Isabella Arbaugh swam a 1:53.26. Bellard only swam the 500 freestyle and relay at the state meet, but she will compete at Futures in Huntsville, Alabama this week.
Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics (MLA) was home to multiple new state records. The 13-14 girls 200 medley relay of Ellie Todd, Sophia Umstead, Claudia Busse, and Laney Wolf swam to a new state record of 1:46.38. The previous record was 1:47.82 held by Saline Swim Team (SST). Umstead also swam to an individual state record in the 13-14 200 breaststroke. Her finals time of 2:14.89 broke the state record of 2:15.02 previously held by MLA swimmer and now University of Michigan swimmer Kathryn Ackermann. Umstead now is 39th overall in the 13-14 USA swimming all-time rankings in the short course yards 200 breaststroke.
Other Notable Swims:
- Queens University and MLA swimmer Skyler Cook-Weeks won the Open boys 100 freestyle in a time of 43.58, 200 freestyle in 1:36.11, and the 50 freestyle in 19.66. His 50 freestyle time was the exact same time that earned him a 5th place finish at the NCAA Division II Championships this March.
- University of Alabama and MLA swimmer Derek Maas swam to first place in both the Open Boys 100 backstroke (46.33) and 100 butterfly (46.34). It took 46.37 to qualify for Division I NCAAs in the 100 backstroke this year and 46.29 in the 100 butterfly.
- Mid-Michigan Aquatics and Oakland University commit Jordyn Shipps was another multi-event winner. She won the Open girls 100 freestyle in a best time of 50.52, 50 freestyle in 23.51, 200 freestyle in a best time of 1:50.83, and 100 butterfly in a best time of 54.31.
- In the boys 13-14 age group, Plymouth-Canton Cruisers’s Wesley Foster went a perfect 6 for 6 in first place individual swims and best times. He won the 200 IM in a time of 1:58.41, 400 IM in 4:10.80, 50 freestyle in 22.13, 100 freestyle in 47.76, 100 butterfly in 52.09, and 200 butterfly in 1:55.68.
- In the Open boys 100 breaststroke, Purdue University and MLA swimmer Khadin Soto swam to a best time of 53.98 in prelims and swam to first place in 54.04 during finals. Byron Center’s Michael Grover placed second in finals with a time of 54.78.
- MLA’s Abby Marcukaitis won both the Open girls 100 and 200 backstrokes in best times of 54.55 in the 100 and 1:58.30 in the 200. She dropped 1.47 seconds in the 100 and 6.50 in the 200.
- 13 year old Elizabeth Eichbrecht (Unattached) won the 13-14 girls 200 freestyle in a best time of 1:52.08. Her previous best time was 1:56.37.
- University of Michigan and MLA swimmer Spencer Carl won the Open boys 200 butterfly in a time of 1:46.38. 17 year old Liquid Lightning swimmer Carson Wolf finished second in 1:48.78.
- Club Wolverine – 3049
- Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics- 2765.5
- Utica Shelby Swim Club – 1122.5
- Plymouth-Canton Cruisers- 956
- Greater Kalamazoo Crocs- 759
- Club Wolverine- 1247.5
- Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics- 1009.5
- Utica Shelby Swim Club- 776.5
- Greater Kalamazoo Crocs- 633
- Spartan Aquatic Club- 399.5
- Club Wolverine- 1801.5
- Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics- 1756
- Plymouth-Canton Cruisers- 566
- East Grand Rapids Aquatics- 362
- Utica Shelby Swim Club- 346