2020 TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES
- When: Pool swimming: Saturday, July 24 – Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Open Water swimming: Wednesday, August 4 – Thursday, August 5, 2021
- Where: Olympic Aquatics Centre / Tokyo, Japan
- Heats: 7 PM / Semifinals & Finals: 10:30 AM (Local time)
- Full aquatics schedule
- SwimSwam Event Previews
- Entry Lists
- Live Results
- Day 6 Finals Heat Sheet
The men’s 200m IM final here in Tokyo saw China’s Wang Sun charge to the wall first in an Asian record of 1:55.00 while Duncan Scott of Great Britain and Jeremy Desplanches of Switzerland grabbed the silver and bronze in times of 1:55.28 and 1:56.17, respectively.
For Scott, the 24-year-old University of Stirling standout just put up the fastest time of his career, besting the 1:55.90 he logged at the British Swimming Olympic Trials this past April. That previous career-quickest result made Scott the first British man ever to get under the 1:56 threshold, with tonight’s performance solidifying his icon status by dropping another .62.
Split comparisons between Scott’s old and new records are as follows, showing how the versatile ace shaved .37 off of his breast leg and .38 from his free split to land upon the super-swift British record of 1:55.28.
|Previous 1:55.90 Record||25.38||29.01||33.67||27.84||1:55.90|
|New 1:55.28 Record||25.06||29.46||33.30||27.46||1:55.28|
Looking at the history of the men’s 200m IM, Scott now becomes the 7th fastest man ever with his silver medal-worthy outing here in Tokyo.
All-Times Men’s 200m IM Performers
- Ryan Lochte (USA) – 1:54.00, 2011
- Michael Phelps (USA) – 1:54.16, 2011
- Wang Shun (CHN) – 1:55.00, 2021
- Kosuke Hagino (JPN) – 1:55.07, 2016
- Laszlo Cseh (HUN) – 1:55.18, 2009
- Michael Andrew (USA) – 1:55.26, 2021
- Duncan Scott (GBR) – 1:55.28, 2021
Scott is having a successful Games, with this performance garnering his 2nd individual silver medal. He snagged 2nd place earlier in the 200m free and also was a member of Great Britain’s podium-topping men’s 4x200m free relay.
The Steven Tigg-trained Scott also owns the British record in the 100m free with the 47.87 time he originally notched in 2019 and matched again this year at the Trials.