Reported by James Sutherland.
MEN’S 200 FREE FINAL
- World Record (WR): 1;42.00 – Paul Biedermann, 2009
- World Junior Record (WJ): 1:46.40 – Ivan Girev, 2017
- European Record (ER): 1;42.00 – Paul Biedermann, 2009
- European Junior Record (EJ): 1:43.90 – Target Time
- Championship Record (CR): 1:44.89 – Pieter van den Hoogenband, 2002
Rapsys blasted out to the lead with 50 and 100 splits of 24.03 and 50.83, but Scott’s 27.10 third length brought them even with 50 to go. Scott closed in 26.87, the only one in the field sub-27, to pick up the win in 1:45.34. That’s a full second better than he was at the Commonwealth Games, and ranks him 2nd in the world for the year.
Rapsys was .01 faster in the semis in 1:45.33, but really faded here with a final 50 of 27.60 to barely hang on for silver in 1:46.07. Mikhail Dovgalyuk nearly ran him down but ends up with bronze in 1:46.15, and James Guy was locked out of the medals in 4th (1:46.20).