2019 MINNESOTA INVITATIONAL
- Wed. Dec. 4 – Sun. Dec. 8, 2019
- Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center / University of Minnesota / Minneapolis, MN
- Wed. Timed finals 6 PM
- Thu.-Sat. Prelims 10 AM / Finals 6 PM / Diving 12 Noon
- Short course yards (SCY) format Wed.-Sat. (LCM format Sunday)
- Psych Sheets
- Live Stream (days 2-4)
- Live results
- Also on Meet Mobile. Search “Minnesota Invite 2019”
Texas sophomore Drew Kibler has become the 7th swimmer in history to go faster than 1:31 in the 200 yard freestyle, and just the 3rd to do so outside of the NCAA Championships.
Kibler won the event by 2 seconds on Friday evening at the Minnesota Invitational, swimming a 1:30.83 in the final. That ties as the 11th-best swim in history, and ranks him as the 6th-best performance ever.
The only other swimmers to go 1:30.83 at meets other than NCAA Championship events are Dean Farris, who went the same time at the 2019 Ivy League Championships; and Andrew Seliskar, who swam 1:30.86 at the 2018 Georgia Fall Invitational. Both swimmers would improve that time at the following NCAA Championships.
Kibler also becomes just the 2nd teenager to achieve the feat. Former Texas Longhorn swimmer Townley Haas swam 1:30.46 at the 2016 NCAA Championships when he was 19 years and 3+ months old. Kibler is a few months older than Haas was at that time, and will turn 20 before the NCAA Championship meet.
- 1st 50 – 20.76
- 2nd 50 – 22.82
- 3rd 50 – 23.50
- 4th 50 – 23.75
If Kibler wants to get sub-1:30 in this event, it will likely come from an improvement in the 3rd 50 yards – almost all of the swims in history faster than his have had a 22-something split on the 3rd 50. That includes a 22.54 from Dean Farris at last year’s NCAA Championships on a relay leadoff en route to a 1:29.15 – the fastest time in history.
Kibler finished 3rd in the event at last year’s NCAA Championship meet, where he was the highest-placing non-senior and the only freshman to score in that event. His time there, 1:31.76, is his previous lifetime best.
All-Time Fastest Performers, Men’s 200 Yard Freestyle
- Dean Farris, Harvard – 1:29.15
- Townley Haas, Texas – 1:29.50
- Blake Pieroni, Indiana – 1:29.63
- Andrew Seliskar, Cal – 1:30.14
- Zach Apple, Indiana – 1:30.34
- Drew Kibler, Texas – 1:30.83
- Dylan Carter, USC – 1:30.95
- Simon Burnett, Arizona – 1:31.20
- Mikel Schreuders, Missouri – 1:31.27
- Ricky Berens, Texas – 1:31.31