2017 Italian Championships
- Tuesday, April 4 – Friday, April 8, 2017
- Riccione, Italy
- Live Results
Gabriele Detti went 3:43.36 for a new national record and a new world-leading time in the 400 free to start Italy’s national championship meet. Detti won the event by seven seconds and took down the old Italian record of 3:43.40 set back in 2000 by Massimiliano Rosolino. Detti went out hard in the swim, building a big lead early and closing in 56.55 over the final 100 to cap the win. Here’s a look at the world ranks in the event with Detti’s time rising to the top of the list:
Race video has also surfaced of Detti’s swim:
The other big swim of the day was a new junior world record from Nicolo Martinenghi in prelims of the 50 breast. Martinenghi was 26.97 in prelims, but wound up going 27.09 to win the final over Fabio Scozzoli (27.33).
Tania Quaglieri went 1:00.96 to win the women’s 100 back. That sets a new age record – the 2000-born Quaglieri previously held the record (listed as “RIC” with her 1:01.24 last summer. Quaglieri is now only about seven tenths off the overall Italian record in the event.
Other event winners:
- Simone Sabbioni was 54.14 to win the men’s 100 back by a tenth over Matteo Milli (54.24).
- The women’s 400 free went to Alice Mizzau in 4:07.92.
- Stefania Pirozzi was 2:08.64 to win the women’s 200 fly. That’s just outside the top 5 times in the world this season.
- Luca Dotto took the men’s 100 free in 48.66, also finishing just outside the top 5 in the world ranks.