2016 U.S. OPEN SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Tuesday, August 2 – Saturday, August 6, 2016
- Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center
- The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Heats 9:00 AM / Finals 5:00 PM (U.S. Central Time)
- Psych Sheets
- Live Video
- Friday Prelims Heat Sheet
- Live Results
- Championship Central
It’s been a good day for America’s backstroke youth.
First, Regan Smith pummeled a certain Missy Franklin’s 13-14 NAG record in the 100 back, posting a 1:00.31 and slicing almost two full tenths off of what Franklin went back in 2009.
Minutes later, Destin Lasco, who’s broken many-a-NAG-record in his young career, came within a hundredth of the boys’ 13-14 NAG record, which is held by Michael Andrew.
- Andrew, 2014: 27.97/28.86 (56.83)
- Lasco, 2016: 28.06/28.78 (56.84)
That’s a huge time drop for Lasco, who previously sat at #13 on the 13-14 list with a 58.34– he lopped exactly 1.5 seconds off of his old best time.
U.S. 13-14 100 back rankings
- Michael Andrew 56.83
- Destin Lasco 56.84
- Benjamin Ho 57.39
- Vinny Marciano 57.46
- Ryan Murphy 57.76
Of note, world record holder Aaron Peirsol holds the 7th fastest time in the 13-14 age group (57.99) from 1998.
Lasco qualified for a B final appearance at the U.S. Open with his time this morning, and will be gunning for that NAG record in finals tonight.