2017 NCSA JUNIOR NATIONALS
- Tuesday, March 14 – Saturday, March 18, 2017
- Tuesday Timed Finals 4:00 PM Eastern
- Wed-Sat Prelims 8:30 AM / Finals 6:00 PM Eastern
- Live Stream
- Live results available on Meet Mobile
- Results will be posted here after each session
Bacon topped the girls 100 back, the first event of the morning. Her 53.31 is still about a half-second off a lifetime-best, but was also a half-second faster than anyone in the field. Bacon, 14, will look to improve her standing as the #3 swimmer all-time in the 13-14 age group if she can best her 52.82 tonight. The NCAP swimmer is only two tenths out of the second-fastest age group swim ever, though the NAG record is way down at 51.09 from Regan Smith last year.
Penn Charter’s Whitley had a similar morning. The 17-year-old breaststroker was 1:56.64 to earn top billing in the 200 breaststroke by half a second. He really cruised out that swim, though, finishing well off his 1:52.37 best time from December. That time was the 15-16 NAG, but Whitley has now aged up into the 17-18 division. A best time tonight would put him no lower than 3rd in the higher age group with almost two years yet to come.
The girls 500 free could be a barnburner tonight. The top three qualifiers finished within four tenths of a second this morning: Genevieve Pfeifer was 4:44.43, Sierra Schmidt 4:44.85 and Paige Madden 4:44.88. The final should be much faster though, especially if Morgan Tankersley (seeded at 4:37.60 but 4:45.1 this morning) pushes closer to her best time.
Other top seeds going into finals:
- Margaret Aroesty is the fastest 200 breaststroker by a second and a half coming out of prelims. She was 2:11.79, only about six tenths off a lifetime-best.
- Gator Swim Club 16-year-old Talia Bates topped the 100 fly in 53.82.
- Jack Dolan leads the boys 100 back for Rockwood Swim Club after going 48.28 this morning. He’s also third in the 100 free, just four tenths out of first place.
- That 100 free went to David Madej of Swim Strongsville at 44.59.
- Kingfish’s Camden Murphy leads the 100 fly at 47.96. Second is Sam Pomajevich (48.15) who is also the second qualifier in the 100 free.