2016 RIO PARALYMPIC GAMES
- Wednesday, September 7 – Sunday, September 18, 2016
- Swimming: Thursday, September 8 – Saturday, September 17, 2016
- Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Prelims 9:30 AM / Finals 5:30 PM (local time)
- IPC World Records
- Live stream links: NBC / IPC
Canadian Aurelie Rivard won Canada’s first gold medal of the 2016 Paralympic Games on Friday in the S10 50 meter freestyle, and she did so in World Record-setting fashion.
Rivard swam a 27.37 to beat out New Zealand star Sophie Pascoe (27.72) for gold and to take the World Record away from Russia’s Nina Ryabova, who in May of this year swam a 27.60 for the old record. Ryabova wasn’t present to defend her record, as the whole Russian team was barred from participating in this year’s Paralympic Games.
“I am not sure I realise it yet. I don’t know whether to laugh, jump or throw up,” Rivard said after her race. “It’s my first event and I’ve broken the world record and won. I’m in heaven.”
The win is Rivard’s first-ever Paralympic gold, second-ever Paralympic medal, and validates her 50 free title from last year’s World Championships.