2016 Alabama High School 6A-7A State Championships
- Friday, December 9th-Saturday, December 10th
- Martin Aquatics Center, Auburn, AL
- AHSAA Page
- Full Results
- Final Team Scores
- Short Course Yards
TOP 5 TEAMS: CLASS 6A-7A GIRLS
- Auburn High School- 385
- Huntsville High School- 201
- McGill-Toolen Catholic High School- 188
- Grissom High School- 165
- James CLemens High School- 142
The Auburn High School girls successfully completed a 4-peat, repeating as state champions once again. With that, the senior class will now graduate without ever having lost a state title. The team swept all 3 relays, taking gold in the 200 medley relay (1:44.80), 200 free relay (1:35.50), and 400 free relay (3:29.02).
Individually, Hadley Dowdle contributed to Auburn’s win with a gold in the 200 free. Dowdle raced to the wall in 1:50.35, getting her hand to the finish just a hundredth ahead of Athens High School’s Kobie Melton (1:50.36). Her Auburn teammate, Harley Lopez Miro (1:53.15), rounded out the medals in 3rd place.
Dowdle also came home with a silver medal in the 100 free. Her 51.00 in that race earned her 2nd place behind Huntsville High School’s Regan Weakley, who wont the event in 50.59. Weakley swept the sprint free races, also winning the 50 free in 23.25.
Additional Event Winners:
- Jewels Harris, Northridge High School- 100 fly (53.69)
- Mallory Underwood, Athens High School- 200 IM (2:03.60), 500 free (5:01.69)
- Kobie Melton, Athens High School- 100 back (55.99)
- Rachel Cunningham, Spain Park High School- 100 breast (1:04.19)
TOP 5 TEAMS: CLASS 6A-7A BOYS
- Huntsville High School- 362.5
- Auburn High School- 262
- James Clemens High School- 228
- McGill-Toolen Catholic High- 194
- Bob Jones High School- 177
The Huntsville High School boys are your 2016 state champions, with Robert Overbeek and Austin Smith each pulling off a successful individual double to help their team to victory. They also picked up relay victories in the 200 free relay (1:27.57) and 400 free relay (3:11.04).
Smith’s individual wins came in the longer freestyle races, starting with a 1:41.54 for gold in the 200 free. In his next race, the 500 free, he was locked in a close battle with teammate Joe Swing (4:43.77) to the finish. Smith was able to get his hand on the wall first, touching in 4:43.50 for the win.
Overbeek, on the other hand, swam back-to-back events. He first tied for 50 free gold with Northview High School’s Zhang Wen in 20.56. After a quick turnaround, he swam to another victory in the 100 fly, where he clocked a 50.19 to out-touch Auburn High School’s Brady Stabler (50.26).
Additional Event Winners:
- Patrick Dunne, McGill-Toolen Catholic High- 200 IM (1:52.00), 100 back (51.30)
- Zhang Wen, Northview High School- 100 free (44.78)
- Joshua Troup, Prattville High School- 100 breast (59.12)
- Auburn High School- 200 medley relay (1:37.34)