USA Swimming has unveiled both the roster and the coaching staff for their team to the 2016 U.S. Short Course World Championships. (See the full roster here).
The squad, which was due to be finalized a week ago but was just made public on Thursday, includes 17 male and 18 female swimmers, among whom are 10 2016 U.S. Olympians. None of the members of the coaching staff, however, are carryovers from this summer’s official U.S. Olympic team staff, and in fact most of them are assistants within their various collegiate programs.
The women’s team head coach will be Arthur Albiero, who is the head coach of the Louisville Cardinals and the personal coach of Kelsi Worrell – one of the Olympic gold medalists on this team. Worrell will swim the 50, 100, and 200 butterfly at the Short Course World Championships. Also among Albiero’s charges for the meet is hard-rising Louisville sophomore Mallory Comerford. She will swim the 200 free individually at SC Worlds – a race in which she already has her NCAA Automatic Qualifying Time and ranks 2nd nationally in this season.
He will be assisted by Michigan assistant Rick Bishop, Texas women’s head coach Carol Capitani, and Texas A&M women’s assistant coach Tanica Jamison. After no female coaches were on the pool-swimming Olympic coaching staff, the women’s staff for Short Course Worlds will be made up of 2 men and 2 women.
The men’s head coach is Yuri Sugiyama of Cal. Sugiyama is the assistant coach for the Cal men and personally oversees a training group that includes team members Josh Prenot, Jacob Pebley, and Tom Shields, in share with Cal head coach Dave Durden. Missouri assistant Mark Gangloff, Georgia assistant Brian Smith, and Indiana assistant Mike Westphal will complete the men’s staff.
This is the biggest appointment yet for Gangloff the coach. He is a two-time short course meters World Champion (to go with three in long course and 2 Olympic gold medals), and a former World Record holder, as an athlete.
The meet will run from December 6th-11th in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Complete Staff, with swimmers they represent
- Women’s head coach – Arthur Albiero, Louisville (Kelsi Worrell, Mallory Comerford)
- Women’s assistant coach – Rick Bishop, Michigan (Clara Smiddy, Paul Powers, PJ Ransford)
- Women’s assistant coach – Carol Capitani, Texas (Madisyn Cox)
- Women’s assistant coach – Tanica Jamison, Texas A&M (Sarah Gibson)
- Men’s head coach – Yuri Suguiyama, California Aquatics (Josh Prenot, Tom Shields, Jacob Pebley)
- Men’s assistant coach – Mark Gangloff, Missouri (Michael Chadwick)
- Men’s assistant coach – Brian Smith, Georgia (Pace Clark, Nic Fink)
- Men’s assistant coach – Mike Westphal, Indiana (Lilly King, Zane Grothe, Cody Miller, Blake Pieroni)