There will likely be a new #1 team in Wednesday’s CWPA Top 20 poll as last year’s NCAA champion USC, ranked #7, knocked off #1 Stanford 9-8 Saturday in both teams’ MPSF opener. A career day by goalie Nic Porter and hat tricks by Marin Dasic and Marcus Longton guided the Trojans to victory.
#8 Cal also notched a Top 10 upset, defeating #6 Long Beach State 11-10 in overtime on Sunday. The Bears scored twice in overtime to seal the road upset, including the game winner by Jordan Hoover, who notched a hat trick on the day.
The two Top 10 upsets led four overall upsets of ranked teams to go with three Week 9 overtime affairs.
Meanwhile, #9 Harvard extended its undefeated streak to 25 matches with three wins on the week, besting #17 St. Francis Brooklyn 14-7, Iona 16-7 and #18 Princeton 10-6. Charlie Owens and Austin Sechrest turned in hat tricks vs. the Terriers, while Jackson Enright, Alex Tsotadze and Kaleb Archer scored three goals each vs. the Gaels. Sechrest and Dennis Blyashov notched three scores apiece vs. the Tigers.
- LaVerne def. RV Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 10-9 – La Verne led 6-5 at halftime after a powerplay goal by Rex Sample and a penalty by Guillermo Ocasio. CMS tied it up at 6 on a Zack Rossman powerplay early in the third quarter (7:41) and again at 7. Myles Storms and Chucky Ortega made it 9-7 Leopards with 45 seconds to play in the stanza. A Vasil Halchev powerplay pushed the lead to three (10-7). Will Clark and CJ Box responded for CMS, but it was not enough.
- RV Brown def. #18 Princeton 10-8 – The Bears led 2-1 after the opening stanza and continued on to a 6-4 advantage shortly after halftime. Princeton scored to in a row to tie it up 6, but Andrew Penner found the back of the net to put Brown ahead 7-6 with eight minutes to play. James Thygesen and Cole Atwell countered for the Bears after Princeton tied it up at 7 and 8. Thygesen added an insurance goal with 10 seconds left to seal the win and finishing off a team-leading hat trick. Pierce Maloney and Keller Maloney each scored twice to lead Princeton.
- #7 USC def. #1 Stanford 9-8 – USC goalie Nic Porter racked up a career-best 20 saves, while Marin Dasic and Marcus Longton each registered hat tricks to guide the Trojans to victory, snapping Stanford’s 10-match win streak. Tyler Abramson‘s four-goal effort was not enough for the Cardinal, which boasted an early 2-1 lead only to see back-t0-back goals by Longton go in to give USC the 3-2 edge. The Trojans tacked on two more care of Dasic and Jacob Mercep, but Stanford was back within one at the half (5-4). A penalty with 6:15 to play in the third quarter knotted it up, but Chris Sturtevant, Longton and Jake Ehrhardt answered to make it 8-5 Trojans with eight minutes left. It was just a one-goal lead (8-7) with 5:09 left, but Dasic cashed in with 2:12 to go for the eventual game winner. Abramson netted the game’s final goal on a power play with three seconds left.
- #8 Cal def. #6 Long Beach State 11-10 OT – The Bears and 49ers matched each other throughout regulation, tying from 1-1 to 9-9. LBSU took its first lead at 4-3 on a powerplay by Rafael Real Vergara, but the Bears responded with power play goals by Nikolaos Papanikolaou and Sam Untrecht. After tied at 5, 6, 7 and 8, Matt Morris gave the 49ers a 9-8 lead with 51 seconds left, before Jordan Hoover answered with a powerplay score for Cal. In overtime, Warren Loth put Cal ahead 10-9 just 30 seconds in and Hoover added another score to finish off a hat trick and make it 11-9 with 2:45 left in the second extra period. Morris had LBSU within one at 11-10 with 1:59 to play, but the Cal defense held from there. Real Vergara and Morris each scored three times to lead the 49ers.
- #19 Cal Baptist def. Air Force 12-10 OT – Air Force led 5-3 after the first quarter, only to see CBU knot it up at 5 at halftime. From there both teams managed two goals per stanza, leading to a 9-all tie at the end of regulation. The Lancers took their first lead at 6-5 on a Zach Lowery goal with 5:53 to play in the third quarter and Kyle Christian tacked on another score. Air Force tied it up at 7 with goals by Luke Andres and Sam Fuller in the third quarter and went up 8-7 on a Reagan Pittman score with 7:36 left in the game. Joseph Galgani and Joseph Griffin put CBU up 9-8 with 2:57 to play, but Mike Miller leveled the score at 9 with 1:12 to go, forcing overtime. The teams traded goals in the first extra period, before Galgani and Griffin cashed in in the second OT to give the Lancers the win. Galgani and Logan Mena each put in a hat trick for CBU, while Andres and Pittman did so for Air Force.
- #8 Cal def. #6 Long Beach State 11-10 OT
- RV George Washington def. Navy 17-14 OT – The Colonials avenged its Oct. 25 loss to Navy (14-8) with a comeback win on Sunday. Navy led 5-2 after the first eight minutes and 9-5 at halftime. GW put together a big third quarter, outscoring the Midshipmen 6-2, including a 3-0 run in the final 1:17 to knot the score at 11. Down 13-11 in the fourth, the Colonials got two goals from Gabriele Simonti to force overtime. George Washington turned it on from there, with scores from Jordan Blosser, Atakan Destici, Andrew Mavis and Nick Schoeder to put the game out of reach, before Jake Altmayer countered with one final goal for Navy. Destici and Simonti put in four goals apiece in the win, while Schoeder logged a hat trick. Altmayer notched a hat trick to lead Navy.
Men’s Water Polo Week 9 Results
|Oct. 30||RV Claremont-Mudd-Scripps at LaVerne||LaVerne 10-9|
|Iona at #17 St. Francis Brooklyn||St. Francis Brooklyn 16-10|
|#9 UC San Diego at #6 Long Beach State||Long Beach State 12-10|
|Chapman at Occidental||Chapman 23-20|
|Oct. 31||#13 Loyola Marymount at #19 Cal Baptist||Loyola Marymount 16-15|
|Nov. 1||Wagner at La Salle||Wagner 25-10|
|#3 Pacific at #6 Long Beach State||Pacific 13-12|
|Nov. 2||#17 St. Francis Brooklyn at #9 Harvard||Harvard 14-7|
|Iona at MIT||MIT 11-10|
|Penn State Behrend at Mercyhurst||Mercyhurst 11-8|
|#19 Cal Baptist at Air Force||Cal Baptist 12-10 OT|
|#18 Princeton at RV Brown||Brown 10-8|
|LaVerne at Cal Lutheran||Cal Lutheran 16-13|
|Chapman at RV Claremont-Mudd-Scripps||Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 10-9|
|Concordia (Irvine) at #13 Loyola Marymount||Loyola Marymount 17-14|
|Redlands at #20 Pomona-Pitzer||Pomona-Pitzer 15-4|
|RV Whittier at Cal Tech||Whittier 21-9|
|#12 San Jose State at #5 Pepperdine||Pepperdine 11-8|
|#14 UC Irvine at #4 UC Santa Barbara||UC Santa Barbara 15-10|
|#8 Cal at #2 UCLA||UCLA 10-9|
|#17 St. Francis Brooklyn at MIT||St. Francis Brooklyn 12-11|
|Riverside Community College at #20 Pomona-Pitzer||Pomona-Pitzer 17-6|
|Johns Hopkins at RV George Washington||George Washington 20-12|
|La Salle at #15 Bucknell||Bucknell 21-3|
|RV Santa Clara at #11 UC Davis||UC Davis 12-5|
|RV Whittier at Occidental||Whittier 19-7|
|Iona vs. #9 Harvard||Harvard 16-7|
|#1 Stanford at #7 USC||USC 9-8|
|Nov. 3||#17 St. Francis Brooklyn vs. RV Brown||Brown 11-10|
|#18 Princeton at MIT||Princeton 16-9|
|Johns Hopkins vs. #15 Bucknell||Bucknell 15-7|
|Navy at RV George Washington||George Washington 17-14 OT|
|Iona vs. RV Brown||Brown 17-12|
|#18 Princeton at #9 Harvard||Harvard 10-6|
|#8 Cal at #6 Long Beach State||Cal 11-10 OT|
|#12 San Jose State at #7 USC||USC 17-9|
|Long Beach City at #6 Long Beach State||Long Beach State 14-7|
|Pepperdine Invite (Malibu, Calif.)|
|Cal Lutheran at #5 Pepperdine||Pepperdine 15-8|
|Cal Lutheran vs. Concordia (Irvine)||Concordia 19-16|
|Concordia (Irvine) at #5 Pepperdine||Pepperdine 19-5|