With an influx of changes to the international swimming calendar due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2022 Pan Pacific Championships have been deferred to 2026.
“Out of respect for the recent changes to the international sporting calendar due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the four Pan Pacific Charter Nations have agreed to defer the 2022 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships,” the organization said in its press release.
The four Pan Pacific Charter Nations are Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States.
“We are looking forward to hosting this event, but in the bigger picture, everyone can benefit from the decision to defer the Pan Pacific Championships by four years,” said Swimming Canada President Cheryl Gibson.
“The Pan Pacific Championships will remain a benchmark event in the future. We now look forward to hosting a great event in 2026, welcoming our fellow Charter Nations Australia, Japan and Team USA, as well as other guests from around the world for a celebration of our sport at its best.”
While the event will remain in Canada, an official host city has not been named as of yet.
The international swimming schedule in 2022 became incredibly busy after the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games to 2021. The 2021 FINA World Championships were delayed until May of 2022, and the Commonwealth Games were already slated for July 27-Aug. 7, 2022, in Birmingham, England.
The press release also noted that the 2020 Junior Pan Pacs have been deferred until Aug. 24-27, 2022 in Hawaii, which was announced in early May.
In addition to the Olympics, LC World Championships and now the Pan Pacific Championships, the 2020 Short Course World Championships, scheduled for December in Abu Dhabi, were also moved to 2021.
Updated Potential 2022 Swimming Calendar
- FINA Champions Series? – TBD
- International Swimming League? – TBD
- South American Swimming Championships – TBD, historic dates are sporadic
- 2022 FINA World Aquatics Championships – Fukuoka, Japan – May 13th-29th
- 2022 Commonwealth Games – Birmingham, England – July 27th-August 7th, 2022
- 2022 LEN European Aquatics Championships – Rome, Italy – August 11th-21st, 2022
- 2022 Jr. Pan Pacific Swimming Championships – Hawaii – August 24-27, 2022
- 2022 Asian Games – Hangzhou, China – September 10th-25th, 2022
- African Swimming Championships – TBD – TBD, usually in September or October (skipped in 2014 because of ebola outbreak).
- 2022 Youth Olympic Games – Dakar, Senegal – October 22nd-November 9th, 2022
- 2022 World Short Course Swimming Championships – Kazan, Russia* – Dates TBD, Usually in December
- There are a few other junior meets that will likely be squeezed in here, like Jr. Pan Pacs and European Junior Championships.
* Pending outcome of Russia’s appeal of IOC sanctions over doping practices, though the head of the Russian federation Vladimir Salnikov says that this would not be impacted.