2016 MARIA LENK TROPHY OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Friday, April 15th – Wednesday, April 20th
- Olympic Aquatics Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Prelims 9:30am local/8:30am EDT; Finals 5:30pm local/4:30pm EDT
- Brazilian Olympic Selection Criteria
- Maria Lenk Start List
- Meet Schedule
- Real-Time Results
- Qualifiers after Day 1
- Qualifiers after Day 2
There were only three events on Day 3 of the Maria Lenky Trophy, but the action was just as intense. In the end, two newly minted FINA ‘A’ Olympic qualification standards and a fresh set of records were achieved.
Larissa Oliveira of Pinheiros clocked a 1:58.53 in the morning session to earn her first FINA ‘A’ standard and Brazil’s second Rio roster position in the event, the other being Manuella Lyrio’s 1:58.43 from the Brazil Open. Oliveira returned for finals and demolished Lyrio’s South American and Brazilian National Record of 1:58.03 with a 1:57.37. The pair will represent the host country in the 200 free later this summer.
Leonardo de Deus of Corinthians registered his qualification standard at the Brazil Open in the 200 fly (1:56.14) and successfully defended his dominance as the country’s top butterflier with a 1:55.54 in finals. He’ll be joined by Fiat/Minas swimmer Kaio Almeida, the Brazilian record-holder who scored his Olympic qualification in the morning and repeated the effort at night for an even quicker mark of 1:56.21.
In the last event of the night, Joanna Maranhao wasn’t able to slip under the 200 IM FINA ‘A’ standard of 2:14.26, but can rest easy knowing her Brazil Open time of 2:14.04 stands as the country’s only qualification. Her finals swim of 2:14.37 bested Czech swimmer Barbora Zavadova (2:15.01) and Argentine swimmer Virginia Bardach (2:15.13), neither of whom were able to dip up the qualification in either session.
Qualified Brazilians through Maria Lenk Trophy Day 3
- Brandonn Almeida, 400 IM, 4:14.63
- Daiene Dias, 100 fly, 58.07
- Daynara Ferreira, 100 fly, 58.38
- Luis Melo, 400 free, 3:50.32
- Joanna Maranhao, 400 IM, 4:38.66
- Joao Gomes Jr, 100 breast, 59.10
- Felipe Franca Silva, 100 breast, 59.36
- Etiene Medeiros, 100 back, 1:00.00
- Nicolas Oliveira, 200 free, 1:46.97
- Joao de Lucca, 200 free, 1:46.42
- Guilherme Guido, 100 back, 53.09
- Luis Melo, 800 free relay
- Andre Pereira, 800 free relay
- Larissa Oliveira, 200 free, 1:57.37
- Manuella Lyrio, 200 free, 1:58.43
- Leonardo de Deus, 200 fly, 1:55.54
- Kaio Almedia, 200 fly, 1:56.21
- Joanna Maranhao, 200 IM, 2:14.04