2016 CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- August 4th-7th, 2016
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Prelims – 10 am local (Noon EDT)
- Finals – 6 pm local (8 pm EDT)
- Meet Preview
- Meet Central
- Psych Sheets
- Live Results
- Live Stream
- Results Can Also Be Found on Meet Mobile
Day three finals at the Canadian Championships in Edmonton featured five different events: the 200 IM, 50 back, 100 fly, 400 free and the 400 free relays. The meet is set to pause and watch while Canadian Olympians compete in the finals in Rio.
WOMEN’S 200M IM
- Canadian Record: 2:10.08, Sydney Pickrem, 2015 World Championships
- Ashley McGregor, PCSC, 2:16.48
- Sarah Darcel, ISC, 2:16.92
- Sarah-Lee Hevey, CAMO, 2:17.06
Ashley McGregor of Pointe-Claire opened the finals session with a close win in the 200 IM, taking out Island Swimming’s Sarah Darcel by less than half a second. McGregor touched in 2:16.48, with Darcel back in 2:16.92. Third place finisher Sarah-Lee Hevey was close behind as well, going 2:17.06.
MEN’S 200M IM
- Canadian Record: 1:59.19, Keith Beavers, 2008 Olympic Games
- Luke Reilly, UBCDS, 2:02.12
- James Dergousoff, CHENA, 2:03.18
- Rob Hill, CHENA, 2:03.56
Luke Reilly of UBC completed the IM sweep in Edmonton, winning the 200 IM in 2:02.12 after winning the 400 earlier in the meet. The CHENA Swim Club earned 2nd and 3rd place honors, with James Dergousoff (2:03.18) and Rob Hill (2:03.56) taking those spots. Both Dergousoff (200 breast) and Hill (100, 200 back) already have wins at this meet.
WOMEN’S 50M BACK
- Canadian Record: 27.67, Kylie Masse, 2016 Sette Colli
- Ingrid Wilm, CASC, 28.69
- Danielle Hanus, NEW, 28.88
- Mackenzie Glover, UMAN, 29.14
The entire A final took off time from prelims, with two women getting under 29 after none did this morning. Ingrid Wilm of Cascade took the top spot in 28.69, followed closely by Newmarket’s Danielle Hanus (28.88). Mackenzie Glover of the University of Manitoba took the bronze in 29.14.
MEN’S 50M BACK
- Canadian Record: 25.13, Russell Wood, 2015 Pan Am Trials
- Josh Dow, UCSC, 25.76
- Tim Zeng, CHENA, 25.96
- Tony Liew, HTAC, 26.55
Josh Dow of the University of Calgary Swim Club won gold in a new personal best of 25.76, while CHENA’s Tim Zeng tied his best time on the nose to win silver in 25.96. Former breaststroke specialist Tony Liew of the Halifax Trojans grabbed bronze in 26.55, just missing his best of 26.31.
WOMEN’S 100M FLY
- Canadian Record: 56.73, Penny Oleksiak, 2016 Olympic Games
- Maggie MacNeil, LAC, 59.84
- Rebecca Smith, CASC, 1:00.13
- Mabel Zavaros, OAK, 1:00.59
Maggie MacNeil of the London Aquatic Club was the only swimmer under a minute tonight in the 100 fly, touching in 59.84. Rebecca Smith of Cascade was 2nd in 1:00.13, and Oakville’s Mabel Zavaros claimed 3rd in 1:00.59.
MEN’S 100M FLY
- Canadian Record: 51.98, Santa Condorelli, 2016 Arena Pro Swim Indianapolis
- Nicolaas Dekker, RAPID, 53.99
- Gamal Assaad, OAK, 54.32
- Josiah Binnema, EKSC, 54.62
Nicolaas Dekker took off nearly eight tenths off from the morning to take the win in 53.99, just ahead of top seed Gamal Assaad, who also took off time from the morning to finish 2nd in 54.32. Edmonton Keyano’s Josiah Binnema also took off eight tenths from prelims to finish 3rd in 54.62.
WOMEN’S 400M FREE
- Canadian Record: 4:03.84, Brittany Maclean, 2016 Olympic Trials
- Danica Ludlow, ISC, 4:12.82
- Sophia Saroukian, EKSC, 4:16.75
- Olivia Anderson, ESWIM, 4:16.76
Danica Ludlow of Island Swimming defended her top seed from the morning winning easily in a time of 4:12.82. Sophia Saroukian of Edmonton Keyano and Olivia Anderson of Etobicoke had an epic battle for silver, with Saroukian taking her out by 0.01, 4:16.75 to 4:16.76.
MEN’S 400M FREE
- Canadian Record: 3:43.46, Ryan Cochrane, 2014 Commonwealth Games
- Jeremy Bagshaw, ISC, 3:52.21
- Peter Brothers, ISC, 3:53.02
- Carson Olafson, UBCDS, 3:57.60
Jeremy Bagshaw of Island Swimming picked up his second win of the meet in the 400 free, beating teammate Peter Brothers by eight tenths. Bagshaw won in 3:52.21, two seconds faster than the morning, and Brothers was 3:53.02, also taking off two seconds from prelims. Carson Olafson of UBC was 3rd in 3:57.60.
WOMEN’S 400M FREE RELAY
- Island Swimming, 3:49.56
- Edmonton Keyano, 3:50.19
- Pointe-Claire, 3:50.77
Island Swimming came away with the win in the women’s 400 free relay, winning a close race with Edmonton Keyano who were 2nd and Pointe-Claire who was 3rd. The winning team for Island was Alicia Eisen (59.18), Sarah Darcel (57.00), Danica Ludlow (57.29) and Mackenzie Padington (56.09). Edmonton Keyano was 3:50.19 for 2nd, and Pointe-Claire 3rd in 3:50.77.
MEN’S 400M FREE RELAY
- UBC Dolphins, 3:24.91
- CAMO, 3:27.81
- CHENA, 3:29.00
The UBC Dolphin Swim Club won the men’s 400 free relay by almost three seconds, touching in 3:24.91. The team of Stefan Milosevic (50.72), Luke Peddie (51.97), Jonathan Brown (51.75) and Carson Olafson (50.47) beat CAMO (3:27.81) and CHENA (3:29.00) handily, who settled for 2nd and 3rd.