2016 AZ DIVISION 2 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Full meet results
- Friday, November 4th – Saturday, November 5th
- Skyline Aquatic Center, Mesa, AZ
- Short Course Yards
FINAL BOYS TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- Chaparral High School- 345.5
- Catalina Foothills High School- 312
- Salpointe Catholic High School- 179.5
- Williams Field High School- 141.5
- Notre Dame Prep High School- 135
Just over 33 points separated the top 2 teams at the 2016 Arizona Division 2 State Championships, as Chaparral High School battled their way to the title with 345.5 points. Taking a close 2nd behind them, the boys from Catallina Foothills High School earned the silver with 312 points. Rounding out the top 3 was Salpointe Catholic High School with 179.5 points.
Chaparral High School’s Ryan Hoffer, a Cal commit, helped lead his team to a state championship title with 2 individual event victories at the 2016 Arizona Division 2 State Championships. Hoffer’s most impressive swim of the night came in the 50 free, where he hit the wall in 19.34 to come within hundredths of the National Public School Record, which stands at a 19.29 done by Caeleb Dressel in 2013. Hoffer followed that up with a 2nd victory in the 100 fly, blowing away the field with his 46.97.
Hoffer’s teammate Matthew LeBlanc, a Chaparral High School freshman, also picked up an individual state title. LeBlanc was locked in a neck-and-neck battle with Catalina Foothills’ Sam Mulay (58.63), but it was LeBlanc who got his hand to the wall first in 58.56. Mulay was the winner of the 200 IM earlier in the session, clocking a 1:55.05 in that race.
Brooks Fail, an Arizona commit and senior at Catalina Foothills High School, swept the middle distance freestyles. In the 500 free, he led a 1-2-3 sweep for his team, smashing through the 4:30-barrier with his 4:27.44. Coming in behind him to round out the medals were teammates Scott Pekarske (4:43.99) and Martin Hocheder (4:44.17). Fail also won the 200 free at the beginning of the meet, posting a winning time of 1:39.20.
Additional Boys Event Winners:
- 200 medley relay- Notre Dame Prep (Corona, Salvino, Morsch, Averitte), 1:38.00
- 100 free- Clay Stoddard, Arcadia High School, 46.27
- 200 free relay- Chaparral High School (Hoffer, Best, Rodriguez, Acheson), 1:26.95
- 100 back- Troy Bills, Liberty High School, 51.00
- 400 free relay- Chaparral High School (Acheson, Simmons, LeBlanc, Hoffer), 3:10.00
FINAL GIRLS TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- Chaparral High School- 404
- Arcadia High School- 266.5
- Catalina Foothills High School- 198
- Sunrise Mountain High School- 154.5
- Salpointe Catholic High School- 144
Chaparral High School also brought home the 2016 Arizona Division 2 State Championship title on the girls’ side, as they built a huge lead to claim 404 points. Taking 2nd place with 266.5 points was Arcadia High School, with Catalina Foothills High School following in 3rd with their 198 points.
Canadian Olympic bronze medalist Taylor Ruck brought home a pair of individual state titles to help Chaparral High School to their team victory. In the 200 free, Ruck built a gap of over 6 seconds between herself and the field, winning in a dominant 1:46.20. She then popped a 49.29 in the 100 free to earn her 2nd gold ahead of Arcadia’s Savanna Carlson, who placed 2nd in 51.45.
Ruck’s teammate Emma Broome, who gave her verbal commitment to Utah last week, put up a pair of highlight swims with her 100 fly/100 back double.
In addition to her silver in the 100 free, Arcadia’s Savanna Carlson, a soon-to-be Wisconsin Badger, also brought home a gold from the 200 IM. With that win, she now has 3-straight state championship titles in the event. Her 2:03.16 in the final was good for gold ahead of Chaparral’s Kelly Huffer (2:03.36).
Additional Girls Event Winners:
- 200 medley relay- Chapparal High School (Broome, Leblanc, Segneri, Huffer), 1:44.82
- 50 free- Gabriella Fagan, Chaparral High School, 23.96
- 500 free- Sydney Carlson, Arcadia High School, 4:57.37
- 200 free relay- Chaparral High School (Segneri, Ruck, Zapata, Fagan), 1:35.07
- 100 breast- Kati Hage, Campo Verde High School, 1:04.75
- 400 free relay- Chaparral High School (Ruck, Huffer, Broome, Fagan), 3:25.78