2018 Central Zone Sectionals – Akron
- March 22nd-25th, 2018
- Ocasek Natatorium, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- Results on Meet Mobile “2018 Speedo Sectionals Section 3 Central Zone”
16-year old Regan Smith, a member of the USA Swimming National Team and the 2017 World Championships Team, has crushed the 15-16 National Age Group Record in the 200 yard backstroke.
Smith, who bypassed her ascribed Section 1 Sectionals meet in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin earlier this meet, is instead racing in Akron, Ohio. There, she swam a 1:48.30 in the first final of the meet. That improved upon her own record of 1:50.01 set in prelims, Kylie Stewart‘s old record of 1:50.66 from 2013, and Smith’s prior personal best of 1:51.30, done at the 2017 U.S. College Challenge.
|Old PB||Old Record||New Record|
Stewart swam her previous record-setting swim at the 2013 NCSA Junior National Championships.
Besides the all-time age group record, Smith jumped past World Record holder Missy Franklin as the fastest 18-and-under ever (Franklin’s 17-18 record is a 1:48.42), and also moved into 4th on the all-time rankings at any age.
Top 5 Performers all-time, any age, 200 yard backstroke:
- Kathleen Baker, 1:47.30, 2018
- Liz Pelton, 1:47.84, 2013
- Missy Franklin, 1:47.91, 2015
- Regan Smith, 1:48.30, 2018
- Gemma Spofforth, 1:48.34, 2009