2019 NCAP Invitational
- December 12th-15th, 2019
- University of Maryland College Park
- SCY (25y) pool
- Psych Sheets
- Results on Meet Mobile
The 2019 NCAP Invitational kicked off on Thursday evening with 6 events: the 12 & under 200 yard backstroke and 500 yard freestyle for both boys and girls, as well as the 1650 freestyles for all age groups.
In the 1650 free, 16-year old Paige McKenna of the hosts NCAP swam 16:11.22 in the girls’ event – about 23 seconds off her best time, but good enough to win by 9 seconds anyway. Sophia Karras took 2nd in 16:20.20, dropping 22 seconds, and the 3rd-best time was Karras’ LIAC teammate Cavan Gormsen, who at 14 swam 16:22.81. That time by Gormsen is the fastest 14 & under time in the country so far this season by over 8 seconds (she’s one of only 5 in that age group to have even broken 17 minutes in the event this season). Gormsen now ranks 32nd in the 13-14 age group all-time.
Also in this race, Claire Weinstein swam a time of 16:46.33, which ranks her as the 3rd-fastest 11-12 in the history of the event behind Chloe Sutton (16:34.13) and Courtney Harnish (16:46.09).
In the boys’ 1650 free, it was 15-year old LIAC swimmer JuanCarlos Castrillon who dropped 23 seconds to clock a winning time of 15:25.81. That improves his lifetime best from February. While neither the 2nd-place swimmer William Mullen of NCAP (15:38.77) nor the 3rd-place swimmer Leo Goldblatt of NCAP (15:44.98) swam best times, Castrillon’s swim was easily faster than the seeds of anybody in the field.
Other Day 1 Winners:
- Denys Mialkovskyi won the boys’ 12 & under 200 yard back in 2:02.83, improving his seed by 4.4 seconds. That time now ranks him 3rd in the country this season.
- Patrick O’Hagan of LIAC won the boys’ 12 & under 500 yard free in 5:00.01, improving his seed time by more than 9 seconds.
- Sarah Larsen of LIAC won the girls’ 500 yard free, part of a big day for the LIAC distance crew, in 5:10.96 – a 4.2 second drop. Lily Gormsen, younger sister of Cavan, dropped more than 11 seconds to finish in 2nd place in 5:13.59.
- Gloria Kuang of the Dragon Swim Team won the girls’ 200 back in 2:09.28
Boys’ Team Scores, Top 5
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 181
- Nation’s Capital Aquatic Club – 152
- CPAC – 63
- Dragon Swim Team – 48
- Asphalt Green – 46
Girls’ Team Scores, Top 5
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 170
- Nation’s Capital Aquatic Club – 103
- Westchester Aquatic Club – 87
- Greenwich YWCA Dolphins – 64
- Suburban Seahawks Club – 47