2022 Winter Age Group Junior Championships West
- Dec. 2-4, 2022
- George Haines International Swim Center
- Santa Clara, CA
- SCY (25 yards)
- Results on MeetMobile: “2022 Winter Age Group Junior Championships”
Luka Mijatovic continued his climb up the all-time age group rankings with an impressive performance at the 2022 Winter Age Group Junior Championships last weekend.
The 13-year-old Pleasanton Seahawks standout registered eight lifetime bests and six nation-leading times for his age in Santa Clara. Mijatovic lowered his nation-leading time in the 500-yard freestyle to 4:28.67, which stands as the fastest mark ever by a 13-year-old American. He’s held that distinction since blazing a 4:29.84 last month as he continues to close in on the boys’ 13-14 NAG record of 4:24.79 set by Lleyton Plattel in 2017.
Mijatovic clocked a pair of personal bests in the 200 IM and 400 IM that each rank No. 2 all time among 13-year-old boys. In the 200 IM, he shaved more than two seconds off his previous best en route to a 1:52.33, good for the top time in the country among 13- and 14-year-old boys by more than a second. Only 23-year-old Olympic gold medalist Michael Andrew (1:50.50 from 2013) has ever been faster than Mijatovic at his age.
All-Time Rankings, 13-Year-Old Boys’ 200 IM (SCY)
- Michael Andrew (Race Pace Club), 1:50.50 – 2013
- Luka Mijatovic (Pleasanton Seahawks), 1:52.33 – 2022
- Thomas Heilman (Cavalier Aquatics/Piedmont Family YMCA), 1:52.80 – 2020
- Joshua Zuchowski (Flood Aquatics Swim Team), 1:53.33 – 2018
- Tyler Lu (King Aquatic Club), 1:53.77 – 2017
In the 400 IM, Mijatovic posted a 3:58.12, the fastest time among 13-year-olds nationally this season by nearly 19 seconds. It’s the second-best time ever for his age behind Joshua Zuchowski’s 3:56.86 from 2018. His lifetime best was fueled by a 1:00.72 back split, which took nearly two seconds off his previous best.
All-Time Rankings, 13-Year-Old Boys’ 400 IM (SCY)
- Joshua Zuchowski (Flood Aquatics Swim Team), 3:56.86 – 2018
- Luka Mijatovic (Pleasanton Seahawks), 3:58.12 – 2022
- Thomas Heilman (Cavalier Aquatics), 3:58.73 – 2020
- Richard Poplawski (Scarlet Aquatics), 4:00.09 – 2019
- Curtis Ogren (Palo Alto Stanford Aquatics), 4:01.29 – 2009
Mijatovic also clocked a top-five time ever among 13-year-old Americans in the 200 free, where he went nearly two seconds faster than his previous best with a 1:40.66. It’s the fourth-fastest ever for his age behind a pair of former Pleasanton Seahawks (Nicholas Silverthorn and Maxime Rooney) and Thomas Heilman. It’s also a nation-leading time among 13-year-old boys by exactly two seconds.
All-Time Rankings, 13-Year-Old Boys’ 200 Free (SCY)
- Thomas Heilman (Cavalier Aquatics/Piedmont Family YMCA), 1:38.81 – 2020
- Maxime Rooney (Pleasanton Seahawks), 1:40.06 – 2012
- Nicholas Silverthorn (Pleasanton Seahawks), 1:40.52 – 2009
- Luka Mijatovic (Pleasanton Seahawks), 1:40.66 – 2022
- Braeden Haughey (TAC Titans), 1:41.58 – 2017
Mijatovic also threw down personal bests in the 100 back (52.94), 200 back (1:52.31), and 200 fly (1:52.73). The latter 200 fly time ranks him No. 8 all time among 13-year-old boys, while his 200 fly mark puts him at No. 15 all time for his age.
Mijatovic wasn’t the only 13-year-old boy who clocked a historically fast 200 IM time. Santa Clara Swim Club’s Shareef Elaydi reached the wall in 1:54.12, making him the second-fastest performer this season and No. 10 all time among 13-year-old boys. He also posted a 2:08.24 in the 200 breast to become the second-fastest performer this season for his age while adding a 4:09.77 in the 400 IM to become the fourth-fastest 13-year-old boy this season. In the 200 back, he clocked a 1:58.45 to move up to 12th this season for his age.
Elaydi’s Santa Clara Swim Club teammate, 13-year-old Mia Su, headline the girls’ action by notching two nation-leading times this season in the 100 breast (1:03.66 in prelims) and 200 breast (2:16.07). The latter mark is the top time in the country by nearly four seconds. Su added personal bests in the 100 back (59.89) and 200 back (2:08.64) along with a 200 IM time (2:07.03) that ranks No. 3 this season among 13-year-old girls.
Caitlyn Offenberg also had a big weekend for the Crow Canyon Country Club Sharks. Highlights included the second-fastest 50 back among 10-year-old girls this season (29.58), the fourth-fastest 100 back for her age this season (1:05.61), and the eighth-fastest 50 breast.