The USA Swimming official Meet Information book is out for this summer’s World Championship Trials, to be held from June 25th-29th in Indianapolis, Indiana. We’ve dug through and picked out some key points that will help you prepare to watch, compete in, or coach at this summer’s trials.
- No international swimmers
- No-show rules: this year, swimmers will be able to pay a $200 fine to escape disqualification from the entire meet if they miss a swim without scratching. Recall that in 2010, Josh Schneider was almost cost a chance at making the National Team under this rule.
- Timed Finals for the distance freestyles, which will be the 800 and 1500 for both men and women
- No Semi-finals in any races, all except the above will be prelims-finals
- C-Final is for the top 18 & under athletes who do not make the A and B finals
- Prelims may be swum in a flighted format, or may be swum with flyover starts, at the discretion of the Meet Referee.
- The entry deadline is June 17th, with the qualification period beginning on March 29th, 2012
- As we reported a few months ago, 50 meter stroke races will be swum at this meet – including the 50 back, 50 breast, and 50 fly.
Order of Events
|Heats Begin at 9:00 a.m.||Finals begin at 6:00 p.m.|
|Women’s Events||Day 1 – Tuesday, June 25||Men’s Events|
|5||Women’s 800 Freestyle||-|
|-||Men’s 1500 Freestyle||6|
|7||4 x 100 Freestyle Relay||8|
|Day 2 – Wednesday, June 26|
|-||Men’s 4 x 200 Freestyle Relay||17|
|Day 3 – Thursday, June 27|
|18||400 Individual Medley||19|
|26||Women’s 4 x 200 Freestyle Relay||-|
|Day 4 – Friday, June 28|
|33||4 x 100 Medley Relay||34|
|Day 5 – Saturday, June 29|
|35||Women’s 1500 Freestyle||-|
|36||200 Individual Medley||37|
|-||Men’s 800 Freestyle||38|