Courtesy: Tampa Athletics
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The University of Tampa men’s and women’s swimming teams defeated Nova Southeastern at the 2021 Shark Invitational on Sunday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men’s Final: Tampa Spartans 1265.5, NSU Sharks 1174.5
Women’s Final: Tampa Spartans 1511, NSU Sharks 1064
Location: NSU Aquatics Center | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both sessions totaled eight events, including four for the men and four for the women.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- Thomas Clark took the 200 Yard Butterfly with a time of 1:49.32.
- In the 100 Yard Backstroke Angelo Russo earned first place with a time of 47.90.
- Marcos Hillje-Enthoven took second in the 1650 Yard Free with a time of 16:18.88. Ian Morgan placed third at 16:18.90.
- Yannick Smith placed second in the 100 Yard Freestyle with a time of 44.55. Noah Paut placed third with a time of 44.66.
- Russo was the runner-up in the 200 Yard Backstroke with a time of 1:47.78.
- Grant Ruster took second in the 200 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 2:00.27.
- The Men’s 400 Freestyle Relay (Smith, Brian Daugherty, Marvin Slanschek, Jared Fitzgerald) takes second with a time of 2:58.85.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- Lindsey Grater started the meet off with a first-place finish in the 200 Yard Butterfly with a time of 2:00.10. Courtney Sherwood was the runner-up at 2:02.65.
- Madysen Barnes took second place in the 100 Yard Backstroke with a time of 55.36. Johanna Koether placed third with a time of 56.67.
- In the 100 Yard Breaststroke, Elizaveta Bazarova placed second with a time of 1:02.99. Julia Augustsson finished third in 1:03.42.
- Jessie Tobin won the 1,650 free with a time of 17:04.95. Alexa Turco was the runner-up, finishing at 17:42.36.
- Hana van Loock won the 100 Yard Freestyle with a time of 51.06. Bazarova took second, finishing in 51.17.
- Taking third in the 200 Yard Backstroke with a time of 2:01.61 was Lara Wiedemann.
- Augustsson, with a time of 2:16.31, placed second in the 200 Yard Breast. Paige Hunt places third with a time of 2:16.81.
- The Women’s 400 Yard Freestyle Relay (Grater, Bazarova, Roma Vrijhof, van Loock) won with a time of 3:25.11.
This meet was the final meet of the regular season. Those who qualified will compete in the NCAA Championships in Birmingham, Ala. starting on March 17. Continue to check TampaSpartans.com for details.
Courtesy: Nova Southeastern Athletics
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Wrapping up regular season competition on Sunday evening at the NSU Aquatic Center, the Nova Southeastern swim teams once again saw numerous NCAA B-Cut times recorded, as well as one relay automatically qualifying for the DII NCAA National Championships. NSU swimmers Savanna Best and Jarryd Baxter won both sides of the Michael D. Fish High Point Award, recording 74 and 77 points, respectively.
INSIDE THE MEET:
FINAL WOMEN’S TOTAL SCORES: Tampa Spartans (1,511), Nova Southeastern Sharks (1,064)
FINAL MEN’S TOTAL SCORES: Tampa Spartans (1,265.5), Nova Southeastern Sharks (1,174.5)
LOCATION: NSU Aquatic Center | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
FOLLOW US: @NSU_SWIM on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
MORNING SESSION TOP PERFORMERS:
- Sasha Maslova finished in third place in the women’s 200 butterfly with a time of 2:02.65, which served as an NCAA B-Cut.
- Spencer Hohm and Alessandro Xella place second and third, respectively, on the men’s side of the 200 fly, posting B-Cut times of 1:49.34 and 1:49.72.
- Cassandra Wright claimed first place in the women’s 100 backstroke with her provisional time of 54.78.
- Steven Aimable and Martin Hemminghyth also posted B-Cuts in the 100 backstroke, recording times of 48.37 and 48.97 for second and third place, respectively.
- Savanna Best captured the win in the women’s 100 breaststroke with her B-Cut time of 1:02.32.
- Three Sharks put up NCAA B-Cut times in the men’s 100 breaststroke, claiming first, second and third place. Robby Spekis won the event in 54.50 with Olle Williamsson and Samuel Brettmann following close behind in 55.11 and 55.52, respectively.
- Ty Fell finished in third in the women’s 1,650 freestyle in 17:48.84.
- Caleb Fell earned the win in the men’s 1,650 freestyle in 16:09.79, nine seconds faster than the second-place finisher.
EVENING SESSION TOP PERFORMERS:
- Alec Dawson won the men’s 100 freestyle with his time of 43.84, just .48 seconds away from an NCAA A-Standard time.
- Wright earned her second win of the day in the women’s 200 backstroke, recording a 1:59.51. Solana Capalbo took second place in 2:01.56 and Allison Kopas finished fifth in 2:01.95. All three times were good enough for NCAA B-Cuts.
- Jarryd Baxter topped the competition in the men’s 200 back with his time of 1:47.06 and Xella finished third in 1:48.44. Both Sharks posted B-Standard times.
- Best also earned her second win of the day, posting a 2:15.07 in the 200 breaststroke, an NCAA B-Cut.
- Williamsson won the men’s 200 breaststroke in 1:58.27, another NCAA B-Cut time. Brettmann placed third in 2:02.37.
- The men’s 400 freestyle relay (Aimable, Dawson, Anton Mueller and Brettmann) closed the 2021 Shark Invitational in exciting fashion, winning the event in 2:57.13. This is yet another qualifying time recorded by the Sharks.
The Sharks will continue preparations for the 2021 NCAA DII National Championships held in Birmingham, Ala. March 17-20. Stay tuned to NSUSharks.com for the announcement of qualifiers.