Tokyo Olympics Chief Reportedly Stepping Down Following Sexist Remarks

Tokyo 2020 Olympics chief Yoshiro Mori will resign from his position following sexist remarks he made last week, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported on Thursday.

Mori initially claimed he would not resign during his public apology last week.

The 83-year-old’s comments, which made headlines on Feb. 4, included him saying that women talk too much, and that “board meetings with lots of women take longer.”

“When you increase the number of female executive members, if their speaking time isn’t restricted to a certain extent, they have difficulty finishing, which is annoying,” he was quoted as saying.

“Women are competitive. When one person raises a hand, others think they need to speak up as well. That’s why everyone speaks.”

Following these comments, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) issued a statement reaffirming its commitment to gender equality on Feb. 9, condemning Mori’s comments and calling them “inappropriate.”

IOC member and five-time Canadian Olympic medalist Hayley Wickenheiser called the news “progress” on Twitter.

Wickenheiser, who owns four gold and one Olympic silver medal in women’s ice hockey, had first responded to Mori’s remarks last week, tweeting “Definitely going to corner this guy at the breakfast buffet. See ya in Tokyo!!”

Mori is expected to officially resign on Friday during a meeting of Tokyo 2020 Council and Executive Board members.

18
Leave a Reply

Subscribe
Notify of
18 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Vic
4 months ago

“Wait did I say those things out loud”?

Olympunks & Gamester Bullies
Reply to  Vic
4 months ago

It’s best to be 85% PC…and keep the other 15% to yourself.

Irish Ringer
4 months ago

These days you should only recite pre-canned statements. Do like Joe and make a statement and then walk away.

Questionable
Reply to  Irish Ringer
4 months ago

Joe cant even do that. His handlers are really slacking on their job.

Troll Longhorn
Reply to  Irish Ringer
4 months ago

Cancel culture even caught Gino Carano.

Nah
4 months ago

Well… he’s not wrong

Troll Longhorn
Reply to  Nah
4 months ago

He fits the “A wise man once said…” profile.

worm
Reply to  Troll Longhorn
4 months ago

what did a wise man say? we must know

Samesame
Reply to  Nah
4 months ago

Everything he said applies to males as well

PVSFree
Reply to  Nah
4 months ago

Just a thought: if you’re agreeing with a guy who was fired from his job for making sexist remarks, you might want to re-examine the way you think about the world

Mikeh
Reply to  PVSFree
4 months ago

I thought it was pretty funny. And let’s not pretend that jokes like this aren’t allowed…he just chose the wrong target.

Nah
Reply to  PVSFree
4 months ago

You’re right, let me rephrase, it has been psychologically proven men and women speak about the same amount of words per day. It just feels longer when women do 😉 how’s that reexamination?

About James Sutherland

James Sutherland

James swam five years at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, specializing in the 200 free, back and IM. He finished up his collegiate swimming career in 2018, graduating with a bachelor's degree in economics. In 2019 he completed his graduate degree in sports journalism. Prior to going to Laurentian, James swam …

Read More »