CHINESE OLYMPIC TRIALS #1
- Friday, April 30th – Saturday, May 8th
- Qingdao, China
- Primary Olympic Qualifier
- LCM (50m)
- Results via Asian Media
Day 2 prelims of the Chinese Olympic Trials #1 brought the heat, with the likes of Li Bingjie, Xu Jiayu and Ji Xinje among the racers taking to the Qingdao pool. Although roster spots for Tokyo are decided in the finals, these heats serve as important markers for the big guns to claim lane 4 and give themselves the best shot of making it happen when it counts.
As a reminder, these Trials have their prelims at night with the finals the following morning, mimicking the timing of the actual Olympic Games.
Making a big statement in the men’s 100m back was reigning world champion Xu, who posted a time of 52.94 out of the heats. That not only represented the only performance to dip under 54 seconds but it sits just over half a second off of his season-best, a mark of 52.35 from just last month.
Tang Qianting made her mark on the women’s 100m breaststroke, beating the heats field by over 1 1/2 seconds. Stopping the clock in 1:06.04, Tang breaks into the season’s world rankings beating out Russia’s Evgenia Chikunova as the 6th fastest woman in the world with two more rounds of racing to go.
In fact, Tang’s time here renders her as China’s 2nd fastest performer all-time, sitting only behind national record holder Liping Ji.
- Ji Xingjie topped the men’s 200m free heats in an easy-looking 1:47.24.
- The women’s 100m back saw Peng Xuwei get the top spot in 1:00.21.
- A battle will ensue in the women’s 400m free final, with Li Bingjie and Wang Jianjiahe separated by less than half a second. The former clinched lane 4 in 4:08.19 to the latter’s 4:08.42.