For the past few months, SwimSwam has been posting a daily swimming workout to help inspire swim coaches around the world who are looking for new ideas to try with their swimmers. Since most of the world’s pools are currently closed for business, we wanted to give swimmers and coaches an alternative set of dryland workouts to use to stay fit during the quarantine. These workouts will be designed to be done around the house. Some will use basic equipment, like medicine balls or stretch cords, while others will be all body-weight exercises.
These workouts are provided for informational purposes only.
With the new dates set for the 2021 U.S. Olympic Trials, today’s daily dryland workout will consist of 429 reps — one for each day remaining before the meet kicks off in Omaha.
This workout will be core-based. For the warm-up, we’re simply going to get the abs activated and the heart rate up a little bit.
Warmup: 5 Minutes
- 30 seconds: left side plank
- 1 minute: front plank
- 30 seconds: right side plank
- 1 minute: rest
- 30 seconds: mountain climbers
- 30 seconds: bear plank taps
- 30 seconds: flutter kicks
- 30 seconds: heel touches
Main Set: Bodyweight Ab Workout, 429 Reps
This workout is based on ATHLEAN-X’s bodyweight ab workout on YouTube, which consists of doing 400 reps as fast as possible. We’re going to have a few slight modifications in order to hit 429, adding an extra round of some different exercises while also including rest. Technique is more important than going as fast as possible.
- Ten touch twists x 40 reps
- Butterfly sit-ups x 40 reps
- Ab scissors x 40 reps
- Twisting pistons x 40 reps
- 1 minute rest
- Bicycle crunches x 50 reps
- Reverse crunches x 10 reps
- Frog crunches x 10 reps
- 1 minute rest
- Bicycle crunches x 39 reps
WARM DOWN: 6 Minutes
- 3x (30 seconds superman extensions, 30 seconds rest)
- 3x (30 seconds fire hydrants [right leg], 30 seconds fire hydrants [left leg])
For info on how to do the exercises in the first set, check out this video: