2021 Georgia LC Senior State Championships
- July 23 – 25, 2021
- UGA Gabrielsen Natatorium, Athens, GA
- Long Course Meters (50 Meters)
- Results on Meet Mobile: “2021 Georgia LC Senior State Championships”
While Olympic swimming is just getting started in Tokyo, swimmers are taking down lifetime best times and National Age Group records in Georgia this weekend.
On Friday, SwimAtlanta’s Gigi Johnson won the 200 free (2:03.61) after placing 2nd in the 100 breast just one event earlier (1:11.07). This was a 3 second time drop in the 200 free for Johnson whose previous best time was from 2019.
The Stanford commit shaved nearly .7 off her previous best 100 breast time from May.
Johnson went on to win the 100 fly (1:01.56), out touching 2nd place finisher Tatum Smith of Dynamo by about .56. Johnson was about half a second off the lifetime best time she posted at the U.S. Olympic Trials Wave I.
Carpet Capital Aquatics Club’s Henry Bethel, an Auburn commit, won the 100 breast (1:02.13) with a full second lead over the field. Bethel’s lifetime best of 1:02.00 from April ranks him #30 out of the all-time fastest 17-18 year-olds in the event.
International Swimming League stars Lisa Bratton, competing as Unattached Athens Bulldog, and Leah Gingrich of Columbus Aquatic Club went 1-2 in the 50 back with times of 28.84 and 29.50, respectively. Bratton came within .05 of her lifetime best from 2018 while USA Swimming does not have a 50 back time logged for Gingrich who took nearly 4 seconds off her entry time.
Earlier, Gingrich placed 3rd in the 100 breast (1:12.73), taking nearly 9 seconds off her entry time.
Gingrich went on to win the 400 IM (4:53.65) as the only swimmer to break 5:00.00. She came within 7 seconds of her lifetime best time from 2007 Summer Nationals.
The fastest time in the 100 fly came from Camden Murphy of Athens Bulldog Swim Club who dominated the event with a time of 52.16. He touched the wall with a 2.5 second lead over field to take half a second off his best time from 2019 Summer Nationals.
SwimAtlanta’s Jake Magahey won the 400 IM (4:26.20) with a 12 second lead over field. He swam a 4:24.92 in prelims which crushed his lifetime best time from 2018 by more than 7 seconds.
One National Age Group record fell during prelims when Spartans Aquatic Club broke the 17-18 men’s 200 free relay NAG with a time of 1:32.43. You can read more about their swim here.
- Athens Bulldog Swim Club’s relay of Ansley Halbach, Karen Zhao, Ava Kennedy, and Olivia DellaTorre won the women’s 800 free relay (8:46.85). Zhao had the fastest relay split of the team on the 3rd leg (2:07.42).
- Zhao, Kennedy, Macy Mullis and DellaTorre won the 200 free relay for Athens Bulldog Swim Club during prelims (1:48.52).
- Marietta Marlins’ relay of Ben McClain, Mitch McClain, Mitchell Norton, and Dane Charleston won the men’s 800 free relay (7:50.61). Norton swam the fastest 200 split during the 3rd leg (1:54.54).
- SwimAtlanta’s Jack Aikins won the 50 back (25.58), beating his lifetime best time from 2019 by .04.
- Harry Evans of Athens Bulldog Swim Club won the 100 breast (1:10.45), but swam a 1:10.03 in prelims to take nearly 2.5 seconds off her entry time.
- Carpet Capital Aquatics Club’s Roman Valdez won the 200 free (1:51.48) and shaved .50 off his lifetime best from April.