South Carolina Gamecocks Def. UNC-Wilmington Seahawks
- South Carolina vs. UNC-Wilmington
- Carolina Natatorium, Columbia, SC
- SCY (25 Yards)
- Meet Mobile- “UNCW @ South Carolina”
- Results (pdf)
The University of South Carolina hosted UNC-Wilmington on Saturday, January 15th. South Carolina won on both sides as their women won in a score of 238-91, and the men won in a score of 207-114.
The South Carolina men dominated the meet winning 14 out of the 16 events. Four different members of the men’s team had two individual wins.
The senior class made a huge impact on the meet. Rafael Davila won both the 1000 (9:15.10) and 500 (4:30.47) freestyles swimming dual-meet season bests. Phil Coston got the victories in the 200 (1:38.18) and 100 (44.94) freestyles, also swimming dual-meet season bests. Diver Alex Claus also won the 1 meter (327.38) and 3 meter (333.73). Junior Jordan Yip also earned two victories winning both the 200 butterfly (1:50.94) and the 200 IM (1:50.95).
UNC-Wilmington was led by sophomore Will Goldley. Goldley won the 200 backstroke in a time of 1:51.25 and finished second in the 200 IM in a time of 1:53.55. Freshman Aidan Duffy also captured an individual victory as he won the 200 breaststroke in a time of 2:01.84, over five seconds ahead of second place.
Other first-place finishes:
- 200 medley relay: South Carolina (1:29.38)
- 100 backstroke: Michael Laitarovsky, South Carolina (48.20)
- 100 breaststroke: Luke Massey, South Carolina (55.85)
- 50 freestyle: Mark Shperkin, South Carolina (20.48)
- 100 butterfly: Guy Gropper, South Carolina (49.14)
- 200 freestyle relay: South Carolina (1:21.46)
The South Carolina women also dominated the meet winning 14 of 16 events. Sophomore Audrey Chandler led the way winning the 50 freestyle (23.16) and finishing second in the 100 freestyle (50.92) behind teammate Danielle Doennebrink who went a time of 50.76. Doennebrink finished behind Chandler in the 50 freestyle with a time of 23.43.
Junior Taylor Steele led the way in the breaststrokes finishing first (1:03.25) ahead of teammate Annaliese Streeter (1:04.30). Steele finished second in the 200 breaststroke finishing in a time of 2:21.52 behind teammate Georgia Johnson who swam a winning time of 2:16.33. Steele’s 100 breaststroke was a dual-meet season best.
South Carolina won both diving events. Graduate student Brooke Schultz made her debut for South Carolina winning the 1 meter with a score of 346.65. Freshman Sophie Verzyl won the 3 meter with a score of 340.58. Schultz transferred from Arkansas to South Carolina this year following her dad who is now the diving coach at South Carolina. She won the 3 meter diving event at the 2018 Women’s NCAA Championships.
UNC-Wilmington was led by sophomore Brooke Knisely who captured two individual victories. She won the 1000 freestyle in a time of 10:02.57 as well as the 500 freestyle in a time of 4:57.91. She was the only swimmer to go under the 5-minute mark in the 500.
Other first-place finishes:
- 200 medley relay: South Carolina (1:41.89)
- 200 freestyle: Riley Parker, South Carolina (1:50.62)
- 100 backstroke: Bella Pantano, South Carolina (55.05)
- 200 butterfly: Emily Horomanski, South Carolina (2:01.64)
- 200 backstroke: Mari Kraus, South Carolina (1:57.92)
- 100 butterfly: Paige Collins, South Carolina (55.59)
- 200 IM: Ellie Masterson, South Carolina (2:02.53)
- 200 freestyle relay: South Carolina (1:33.29)
South Carolina has their next meet scheduled for Saturday, January 29th at home against Missouri. UNC-Wilmington is scheduled to host Davidson on Saturday, February 5th for senior day.