European sports journalists chose soccer player Cristino Ronaldo as the “2017 European athlete of the year”. The professionals made their choice among the top male and female European athletes, whether they compete in a team or individual sport.
Sweden’s Swimming superstar Sarah Sjöström managed to take the fifth place among the male tennis players and formula one racers. Sjöström won three gold and one silver medal at the 2017 World Championships (LC) in Budapest and also three gold and three silver medals at the 2017 SC European Championships in Copenhagen.
The “European athlete of the year” award exists since 1983 and swimmers were able to win the award three time: German Michael Groß in 1983, Alexander Popov (Russia) in 1996 and Netherland’s Pieter van den Hoogenband in 2000.
Formula 1 racing driver Michael Schumacher (Germany) can be found four times in the winners’ lists, tennis champion Roger Federer (Switzerland) even five times.
With the choice of the Norwegian cross-country skier Bjørn Dæhlie in 1998, only one winter athlete has been victorious so far.
Results of the 2017 “European athlete of the year” award
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (POR/Soccer) 159 points
2. Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Formula 1) 143 points
3. Roger Federer (SUI/Tennis) 124 points
4. Rafael Nadal (ESP/Tennis) 113 points
5. Sarah Sjöström (SWE/Swimming) 75 points
6. Marcel Hirscher (AUT/Ski alpin) 68 points
7. Laura Dahlmeier (GER/Biathlon) 51 points
. Mohamed Farah (GBR/Track and field) 51 points
9. Chris Froome (GBR/Cycling) 50 points
10. Ekaterini Stefanidi (GRE/Track and field) 41 points