The girls of Shawnee Mission East returned to the top of the Kansas High School State Championships, winning their 6th Class 6A title in the last 7 years.
Full results available on Meet Mobile.
Shawnee Mission East picked up the runaway win by sweeping the relay events and winning 4 of the final 5 events.
Junior Crissie Blomquist won all four of her races, including a distance freestyle sweep. Blomquist was 1:50.83 to win the 200 free by almost three seconds, and returned to win the 500 free in 4:56.27 – an almost 11-second margin of victory.
Blomquist also anchored the 200 free relay in 24.11 (directly after the 500) and went 52.92 leading off the 400 free relay, both of which won for Shawnee Mission East.
In the 200 free relay, she was joined by Sarah Allegri, Hannah McPhail and Emma Linscott to go 1:37.85, and the 400 free relay won in 3:36.31 with the team of Blomquist, Bonnie Longan, Linscott and Izzy Smith.
Allegri added an individual 100 back win in between the two free relays. The senior went 55.65 to top the field by more than half a second. She was only about a second and a half off the standing state record.
The medley relay paired Allegri with Mary Booton, Longan and McPhail to go 1:49.21. That opened the meet with a Shawnee Mission East state title.
Lawrence Free State, who broke Shawnee Mission East’s 5-year run of 6A state titles last season, finished second, about 100 points back. They were led by senior Sydney Sirimongkhon-Dyck, who blasted her way to the 50 free state title in 23.65 – that crushed the field by almost a full second, and finished about half a second off the state record.
Other event winners:
- Wichita East freshman Katerina Savvides picked up a hard-fought 200 IM win, going 2:07.23. She touched out Shawnee Mission Northwest junior Hailey Brull by about seven tenths for the title.
- Brull earned a state title of her own just a few events later, though, going 56.85 to top the 100 fly.
- Shawnee Mission North sophomore Joely Merriman won the 100 free, denying Shawnee Mission East’s Allegri a fourth win. Merriman was 52.32, Allegri 53.06.
- Topeka’s Elena Almoguera went 1:06.06 to win the 100 breast by over a second.
- The diving title went to Morgan Hoffman of Overland Park Blue Valley with a score of 401.55.
Top 5 Teams:
- Shawnee Mission East – 386
- Lawrence Free State – 289
- Olathe Northwest – 260
- Wichita East – 189
- Lawrence – 163