2021 TYR Senior Metropolitan Summer Championships
- July 15–18, 2021
- Eisenhower Park, Nassau County Aquatic Center
- 50m (LCM)
- Championship Central
- Thursday Results
- Friday Results
17-year-old Sebastian Smith of Patriot Swim Team pulled off the upset of the evening on Day 2 of Senior Mets Summer Championships at the Nassau County Aquatic Center. Swimming in the final of the men’s 100 fly, Smith clocked a 55.01 to win by .6 and improve his lifetime best, which he had established just two short months ago, by 3.58 seconds. Entered as the 13th seed with 58.59, Smith went 55.93 in prelims to tie for 1st place with Phoenix Aquatic Club’s Hudson Tritter before knocking out his 55.01 in the final. Tritter swam an impressive race, himself. He came into the meet seeded 7th in the fly with 57.83 and wound up in 2nd place with 55.62 in finals. 4th-place finisher Sean Byman of Phoenix was seeded 58th (1:01.45); he finished 4th with 57.26. Squeezed in at 3rd was Queens Aquatic Club’s Conor Mullin (57.08).
Smith had another huge performance in the 100 breast. Seeded 18th with 1:10.17, he posted the 5th time in prelims (1:06.53) before finishing 5th in the final with a new PB of 1:06.20.
Dylan Rhee from Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics Swim Team was a double event winner on Friday night. He claimed gold in the 100 breast with 1:03.64 and in the 400 IM with 4:32.68. He was the top seed in both events, coming in with PBs of 1:03.02 and 4:29.61.
In the 400 IM, Long Island Aquatic Club’s Katie Yee improved on her month-old PB (5:05.56) to place 2nd with 4:57.72. Top-seeded Hana Shimizu-Bowers of Badger won the event in 4:53.74, only 1.6 seconds off her PB.
Long Island Aquatic Club’s Billy Swartwout won a tight battle in the 200 free. He came to the wall in 1:54.17 ahead of teammate JC Castrillon (1:54.90) and Badger’s Christian Lee (1:54.99).
Other event winners:
- Sophia Zhang of Asphalt Green won the women’s 100 breast in 1:12.45.
- Long Island Aquatic Club’s Tess Howley tied her PB to win the women’s 100 fly with 59.64.
- After her 1:58.95 leadoff on last night’s 800 free relay, 14–year–old Claire Weinstein of Westchester Aquatic Club went 1:59.52 to win the 200 free. It was only her second time under the 2:00 barrier. Her Thursday night performance moved her to 4th on the all-time list for 13-14 girls.
Team Scores – Day 2
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 401
- Badger Swim Club – 146
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 131
- Westchester Aquatic Club – 129
- Bgc–N. Westchester Marlins – 96
- Long Island Express – 43
- Phoenix Aquatic Club – 34
- Hauppauge Athletic Association – 13
- Queens Aquatic Club – 11
- Three Village Swim Club – 7
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 300
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 174
- Badger Swim Club – 147
- Bgc–N. Westchester Marlins – 116
- Phoenix Aquatic Club – 67
- Long Island Express – 67
- Patriot Swim Team –45
- 92nd Street Flying Dolphins – 38
- Nys Aquatics – 21
- Trident Aquatic Club – 19