2023 ITALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Thursday, April 13th – Monday, April 17th
- Riccione, Italy
- LCM (50m)
- World Championships Qualifier
- Fukuoka World Selection Criteria
- Start Lists
- Day 1 Recap/Day 2 Recap/Day 3 Recap
- Live Results
The 2023 Italian Championships wrapped up from Riccione tonight with swimmers vying for World Championships roster spots. They’ll have another opportunity later in June at the 2023 Sette Colli Trophy.
Making his mark in the men’s 200m back tonight was Matteo Restivo who cranked out a result of 1:56.96 for gold. He bet out Lorenzo Mora who touched in 1:57.60 for silver while Francesco Lazzari also landed on the podium in 1:59.72 for bronze.
28-year-old Restivo dipped under the World Aquatics ‘A’ standard of 1:58.07 needed for Fukuoka en route to clocking the 7th fastest performance of his career.
He now ranks 8th in the world on the season.
Just missing the grade for Fukuoka was Olympic medalist Federico Burdisso. The former Northwestern swimmer notched a time of 51.86 to win the 100m butterfly, just out-touching Piero Codia who settled for silver only .01 behind in 51.87. Christian Ferraro rounded out the top 3 in 52.18.
Burdisso needed at least a time of 51.67 to qualify for this summer’s World Championships, a time he’s beaten on over a dozen other occasions. The 21-year-old was training at Northwestern University in the United States, but he left that program to begin preparations for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
The men’s 200m free was on the sluggish side, with no competitor dipping under the 1:47 threshold.
The World Aquatics ‘A’ standard rests at 1:47.06 which means the men have work to do at this summer’s Sette Colli Trophy.
- Anita Gastaldi took the women’s 100m backstroke in a time of 1:00.92 this evening.
- The women’s 200m fly saw Ilaria Cusinato get it done for gold in 2:09.03, getting to the wall .30 ahead of runner-up Antonella Crispino‘s silver medal-worthy 2:09.33.
- Edoardo Giorgetti topped the men’s 200m breast podium in an effort of 2:12.34.
- Sara Curtis clocked a new Italian Record in the cadet category in route to 50m free gold. She notched a time of 25.14 to beat out runner-up Costanza Cocconcelli by just .02.