Milligan vs Emory & Henry
- Saturday, October 22, 2022
- Emory, Va.
- SCY (25 yards)
- Team Scores
- Women: Milligan 176, E&H 84
- Men: Milligan 210, E&H 52
Courtesy: Milligan Athletics
EMORY, Va. (October 22, 2022) – The Milligan University men’s and women’s swimming teams picked two dual meet victories over Emory & Henry on Saturday morning.
The Buffs notched 10 NAIA national championship provisional marks on the day. Milligan triumphed in the men’s dual meet 210-52 and won 176-84 on the women’s side.
“We swam exceptionally well today given where we are with training right now, having had one of the most challenging prior-to-meet trainings we have done before on Friday, and then a pre-meet practice and lift this morning,” said head coach Spencer Scarth. “Both squads are in a really good spot despite some cases of the flu. Next weekend should be another great test as we see Asbury for the first time since 2020 conference and a good Union team as well.”
Mary Grace Bitting recorded a pair of NAIA provisional marks with first-place showings in the 200-meter butterfly (2:30.21) and 100-meter freestyle (1:01.76).
Andre Bazzana (2:13.13) and Ethan McCosh (2:13.18) notched provisional marks in the 200 fly. Bazzana also won the 800 freestyle in 8:57.18. Bazzana won the 50 free (54.43) and McCosh was first in the 100 fly (59.48).
Samantha van Vuure and Sammy MacPherson secured national provisional times in the 200-meter backstroke as van Vuure swam (2:28.99) and MacPherson finished in 2:29.85. MacPherson added a first-place showing in the 100 back (1:10.02).
Gabby MacPherson had a national provisional swim in the 200 free (2:16.13) and narrowly missed a national cut on the 50-meter free (28.55).
Stephen Gilbert took a provisional time in the 50 free (24.48) and was first in the 200 IM (2:18.39) and 200 free (2:03.25).
Peter Gilbert was a national provisional qualifier in the 400 free (4:13.24) and won the 200 back (2:12.87).
Kaylee Williams won both breaststroke events, and recorded a provisional time in the 200 breast in 2:51.21.
Milligan swept all four relays at the meet.
The Buffs travel to Union next Friday to take on the Bulldogs and Asbury.
Courtesy: Emory & Henry Athletics
EMORY, Va. – The Milligan University Men’s & Women’s Swimming Teams earned a pair of dual meet victories over Emory & Henry College Saturday afternoon in cross-association action. The MU men won by a score of 210-52 in the 16-event format while the women’s score was 176-84 in favor of the Buffaloes.
Both of Milligan’s squads finished fifth at the 2022 NAIA National Championships last March.
MEN’S FINAL SCORE – Milligan 210, Emory & Henry 52
WOMEN’S FINAL SCORE – Milligan 176, Emory & Henry 84
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center
MEN’S RECORD – 1-4 (0-2 SAC)
WOMEN’S RECORD – 1-4 (0-2 SAC)
– Freshman Owen Seymour (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) posted a runner-up finish in the 100-meter backstroke (1:03.10) and the 100-meter freestyle (:55.12).
– Sophomore Corey Kidd (Stockbridge, Ga.) was second in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of :24.51 and touched the wall in 1:01.76 in the 100-fly to post a second-place finish.
– Sophomore Payton Nabors (Lawrenceville, Ga.) stopped the watches in 2:26.86 to finish third in the 200-meter individual medley.
– Sophomore Matthew Gocke (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) was third in both the 800-meter freestyle (9:20:12) and the 200-meter freestyle (4:32.67).
– Sophomore Paige Gelenski (Boca Raton, Fla.) won the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 1:09.79. She was the runner-up in the 200-meter freestyle at 2:18.62 and the 200-meter butterfly with a performance of 2:35.50.
– Sophomore Hope Christensen (Moroni, Utah) touched the wall first in the 50-meter freestyle at :28.34.
– In the 100-meter breaststroke, freshman Jill Koler (Manassas, Va.) was second in both the 100-meter breaststroke (1:21.70) and the 200- breast (3:04.40).
– Freshman Mick Sorochen (Monmouth Junction, N.J.) took second in the 100-fly (1:10.80) and was third in the 100-meter backstroke with a time of 1:15.43.
– In the 400-meter freestyle, freshman Gabby Sadosky (Las Vegas, Nev.) placed second at 4:55.92 and was third in the 800-free with a time of 10:30.31.
– Freshman Mackenzie Barnett (Monroe Township, N.J.) touched second in the 200-meter freestyle at 1:02.26 and the 200-IM (2:39.66). She was also third in the 100-free with a time of 1:02.26.
– Emory & Henry returns to action on Thursday, November 10 when it hosts King (Tenn.) University in a dual meet. First splash is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.