2016 MICHIGAN DIV. 3 GIRLS STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
- MHSAA State Tournament page
- Friday, November 18th-Saturday, November 19th
- EMU Jones Pool, Ypsilanti, MI
- 25 yards
FINAL TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- East Grand Rapids- 512
- Bloomfield Hills Marian- 364
- Holland Christian- 175
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central- 172
- Milan High School- 134
The girls from East Grand Rapids ran away with the 2016 Michigan Girls Division 3 High School State Championships, scoring 512 points to earn the team title. Taking the runner-up position were the girls from Boomfield Hills Marian with 364 points. Rounding out the top 3 was Holland Christian with 175 points.
Several Division 3 State Records fell this season, 2 of which were broken by East Grand Rapids’ Ileah Doctor, who took down the marks in the 50 free and 100 breast. In the 50 free, she set the record in both prelims and finals, lowering it to a 22.73 to take the gold. She then went on to win the 100 breast by 2 full seconds, setting a new D3 Record in 1:02.60.
The Division 3 Record in the 200 IM fell at the hands of Milan High School’s Madelyn Cislo. She led the race from start to finish, winning gold with her new record of 2:04.62. Rounding out the medals behind her were Grand Rapids Catholic Central’s Susan LaGrand (2:06.00) and Bloomfield Hills Marian’s Gabby Granata (2:08.03).
LaGrand also picked up a silver in the 100 fly, swimming faster than the previous D3 Record. It was Notre Dame Prep’s Rhianna Hensler, however, who got her hand on the wall first to claim the new record. Hensler hit the wall in 56.21, while LaGrand was just a nail behind in 56.24. Cislo, the 200 IM champ, was 3rd in that race behind them, clocking a 57.36 for bronze.
Additional Event Winners:
- Lauren Biglin– Bloomsfield Hills Marian, 200 free (1:52.14), 500 free (5:03.28)
- Gabby Higgins– East Grand Rapids, 100 free (50.70)
- Sydney Higgins– East Grand Rapids, 100 back (56.57)
- 200 medley relay- East Grand Rapids (Higgins, Doctor, Rao, Levine), 1:44.97 *D3 RECORD*
- 200 free relay- East Grand Rapids (Doctor, VanHoven, Sanford, Higgins), 1:33.89 *D3 RECORD*
- 400 free relay- Bloomsfield Hills Marian (Swantek, Granata, Biglin, Schott), 3:27.85 *D3 Record*