The kick of a swimmer is the most important aspect of any swimmer and race. Whether you are a distance swimmer or a sprinter, every swimmer should strive for that six beat kick. Though it’s not easy, it can be achieved. All you have to do is strengthen those legs, hips, and that gluteus maximus. Not to worry though because this killer glute workout will strengthen those muscles needed to achieve that perfect and strong kick.
Before you do anything, warm up those legs! Nothing is worse than going into this workout cold. Start by walking on a treadmill for 10 minutes at a fast pace and an incline. Then start doing some body squats, calf raises, and some lunges, both forward and backwards, until you feel warm and your heart rate is up. This workout will have super sets so be ready. A super set is when you do the set without stopping and taking a rest in between sets. Are you ready? Here it is:
Super set #1: repeat 3 times
- Hip Thrusters: 10-12 reps
- Bulgarian Splits: 10-12 reps on each leg
- Split Jumps: 20 reps
Super set #2: repeat 3 times
- Side Step Ups: 10-12 reps on each side
- Single Bench Jumps: 10-12 reps each leg
Super set #3: repeat 3 times
- Wide Stance Leg Press: 10 reps (heavy)
- Hide Stance Leg Press: 15-20 reps (lighter)
Super set #4: repeat 3 times
- Weighted Walking Lunges: 12-16 reps
- Unweighted Walking Lunges (With Pulse): 20-25 reps with pulse
Burnout set: one time
- Cable Kickbacks: as many as possible
Make sure after you workout, do some static stretching. Though you will be sore after this workout, stretching will help. Also, keep active and keep moving for the next few days to keep your muscles warm so you won’t be too sore. Good Luck!
- Morelli, Michael, Jr. “Signature “Glute Workout” by Kristen.” YouTube. YouTube, 22 Sept. 2015. Web. 24 Sept. 2015.