Margaret Guo is the sole swimmer in the running for the 2014-2015 Elite 89, an award presented to the student-athlete with the highest cumulative GPA participating in the finals site for each of the NCAAs 89 championships.
Vote for Margaret Here.
Guo, who will be going into her senior year at MIT this September, received the NCAA Elite 89 award for swimming at the DIII NCAA Championships in Shenandoah, Texas this March.
With a 4.0 GPA, Guo is managing a double-major in electrical engineering and computer science, and biological engineering. Guo was the seventh MIT student-athlete to receive the award since it was established during the 2009-10 school year.
She will now be up against 10 other Elite 89 recipients from their respective sports. The results will be determined by a vote and announced at 8 p.m ET Thursday, where a winner will be named.
List of finalists
- Carrington Motley – MIT Track&Field
- David Goggin – Angelo State Baseball
- Margaret Guo – MIT Swimming
- Amy Viti – Misericordia Track&Field
- Thomas Woodruff – Virginia Baseball
- Colby Wollenman – Michigan State Basketball
- Tyler Logan – Florida Southern Basketball
- Margaret Thorwart – Millersville Field Hockey
- Jonathan Zirna – Springfield College Gymnastics
- Carson Wentz – North Dakota State Football
Currently Guo has gotten the third highest amount of votes, receiving 15 per cent of all votes in her favor. Motley is in the lead with 17 per cent of all votes.
At the 2015 NCAA DIII Championships Guo finished 41st in the 100 yard fly with a time of 58.20. She also helped her team secure a top 10 performance on the women’s 200 medley relay, splitting a 25.40 on the fly leg.