2016 Open Water Junior World Championships
- Saturday, July 16 – Monday, July 18
- Hoorn, Netherlands
- Meet website
- Event schedule
- Live stream
- Live results
The Junior World Championships in open water swimming begin this Friday in Hoorn, Netherlands, the same venue that is hosting the European Open Water Championships this week.
The European Championships will conclude Thursday, with the Junior World Championships picking right up on Friday morning.
There are 8 events total: 3 individuals in each gender and 2 mixed-gender relays. Swimmers ages 14-15 will compete in a 5K, ages 16-17 a 7.5K, and ages 18-19 an Olympic-distance 10K. The relays will both be 4 legs of 1.25K each, with one relay for ages 14-16 and another relay for anyone under 19 years old.
The Junior World Open Water Championships have only been existence since 2012 – this year will mark the third edition of the event. Germany dominated the 2012 event with 4 golds. In 2014, China led with 2 golds and 4 total medals.
Saturday, July 16:
- 10AM: Boys 5K, ages 14-15
- 10:15AM: Girls 5K, ages 14-15
- 2PM: Boys 7.5K, ages 16-17
- 2:15PM: Girls 7.5K, ages 16-17
Sunday, July 17:
- 11AM: Boys 10K, ages 18-19
- 11:15AM: Girls 10K, ages 18-19
Monday, July 18:
- 10AM: Mixed, ages 14-16 4×1.25K Relay Event
- 12:30PM: Mixed, Under-19 4×1.25K Relay Event