Washington 2A Girls’ High School State Championship
- November 15-16, 2019
- King County Aquatic Center
- 2A (Schools with enrollment from 461-971)
- Short course yards (SCY) format, Prelims/Finals
Liberty Renton edged Sammamish by a narrow four points to claim the Washington Girls 2A (schools with enrollment ranging from 461-971 students) State Swimming and Diving title. This team victory comes after North Kitsap ended the Patriot’s 4-year run last season.
Though Liberty Renton only saw victory in the 200 free relay, several top four finishes, as well as A-finalists in every event except for the 200 free and 100 breast, contributed to their team title. Keaton Canaday (200 IM/500 free), Salena Lam (50 free), Eleanor Bracht (1 meter), and Dominique Visperas (100 fly) all had top-four finishes.
Team title runner-up Sammamish opened the meet with a dominant performance by swimmers Kayla Chenier, Milan Manfredi, Jillian Weber, and Katie Walz in the 200 medley relay, posting a 1:50.82 to win the event by over two seconds. Liberty’s quartet of Shaye Agnew, Lily Stempson, Dominique Visperas, and Savanna Taylor posted a 1:53.55 to narrowly finish in third behind Aberdeen (1:53.29).
Steilacoom, La Center, and Sammamish all won at least two events, with La Center’s Hailey Grotte and Steilacoom’s Alejandra Ruppe being the only double-event champions. Grotte, a Washington State commit, claimed golds in both the 50 (23.69) and 100 free (51.54). While her 50 was a just off her lifetime best of 23.64, her 100 was her fastest to date. Sophomore Alejandra Ruppe won the 200 IM in 2:10.67, as well as the 100 back in 58.07. Ruppe finished tenth and eleventh respectively in 2018.
Sammamish would end the meet with another dominating relay performance. With a lead-off from Walz that was almost three seconds faster than any other starting swimmer, Sammamish controlled the race wire-to-wire, finishing in 3:39.95. Liberty finished in second with a time of 3:43.19 to secure the team title.
Other Event Winners
- North Kitsap’s Brianna Hoffman overtook Pullman’s Mya Reed during the final 50 to take the 200 free title in 1:57.78.
- Fife’s Taylor Bloedorn claimed her second consecutive 1 meter diving title.
- Cheney’s Janie Richards displayed a dominating victory in the 500, touching in 5:18.99, slightly slower than her prelims swim
- Aberdeen senior Annika Eisele handily won the 100 fly in 57.65, almost two seconds faster than runner-up Jillian Weber
- La Center’s Bryanna Ungs ended Aberdeen’s Anna Weber two-year run in the 100 breast, claiming victory in 1:06.07 to Weber’s 1:06.12
Top 5 Teams
- Liberty (Renton) – 268
- Sammamish – 264
- Annacortes – 166
- North Kitsap – 159
- Aberdeen – 139