Applications due 10/27/20
Location: Williamsport, PA, USA
Lycoming College seeks a Head Swimming Coach. This position is responsible for all aspects of Lycoming College’s NCAA Division III men’s and women’s swimming program and will be expected to abide by and uphold regulations of the NCAA Division III and the Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Corporation. Specific duties will include the recruitment of qualified student-athletes, conducting and supervising practices and competitions, scheduling, team travel, budget management, equipment inventory, supervision of assistant coaches and student-workers, and monitoring of student-athlete’s academic progress.
- Organize and conduct practices, conditioning programs and competitive events. Instruct student-athletes with sound principles and expert skills related to swimming, prepare individual athletes and team for meets, set season goals and motivate students using techniques that meet the needs o the students and that are consistent with the Lycoming College athletic program philosophy.
- Developing a competitive program in men’s and women’s swimming. Competitiveness may be demonstrated by continual improvement in conference standings, qualifying for individual or team playoffs as conference or NCAA level, conference awards for payers and/or coaches, etc. the goal is foster an environment of continuous improvement at the team and individual level.
- With approval of the Director of Athletics, create an annual schedule that includes a balance of home and away contests; schools that are competitive from an athletic perspective; schools that reflect the same academic values as Lycoming College; and schools that include institutions within Lycoming College’s key admission recruiting areas.
- Manage, monitor and comply with the operating budget. Follow College and departmental policies regarding fiscal procedures. Provide Director of Athletics with annual cost estimates.
- Participate in fundraising through the Warrior Club program and fundraising accounts. Adhere to College policies and NCAA legislation regarding fundraising.
- Know and abide by NCAA Division III regulations and Middle Atlantic States Athletic Conference rules. Successfully complete the annual NCAA “open book” rules test. Schedule compliance sessions for student-athletes prior to the start of your season.
- Maintain current roster and communicate any changes or additions to the Director of Athletics or his designees. Ensure new players are cleared with athletic trainer and have completed compliance forms prior to participation.
- Recruit, train and supervise assistant coaches and student-workers. Conduct annual evaluations of all continuing assistant coaches.
- Comply with the policies and procedures outlined in the Lycoming College Athletic Training handbook. Cooperate with athletic trainers to ensure student-athletes receive proper medical and physical training services.
- Direct maintenance of equipment and uniform inventory, issuance, proper care and sanitation, collection, and storage in designated on-campus facilities in coordination with the College’s Equipment Manager.
- Model integrity, respect, and good sportsmanship at all times and hold assistant coaches and student-athletes accountable for the same behavior.
- Collaborate with the Director of Athletic Communications to promote the men’s and women’s swimming program. Respond to media requests via the Office of Athletic Communications in a manner that promotes professionalism and the mission of Lycoming College.
- Maintain current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Attend departmental meetings, communicate regularly with the Director of Athletics and contribute positively to the betterment of the total athletics program.
- In compliance with NCAA Division III rules and regulations for men’s and women’s swimming team, recruit student-athletes who meet the College’s admission requirements, who possess the potential to contribute to your team, and who will add positively to the student body.
- Submit and discuss with the Director of Athletics an annual recruitment plan that outlines the coach’s efforts to recruit student-athletes that meet the specific needs of their program (e.g. skilled positions, number of graduating players, etc.) and who can excel athletically and academically at Lycoming College.
- Represent the College at admission open houses and other events that involve prospective students.
- Monitor the academic success of student-athletes and collaborate with faculty, the Assistant Dean for Freshmen and other key personnel to promote academic success. Support the academic development of your student-athletes through graduation.
Qualifications/Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Minimum 3 years coaching experience necessary.
How to Apply
To Apply: Submit a Resume, Cover Letter and three professional references on our employment opportunities website. https://www.lycoming.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities.aspx
Please have letters of recommendation sent to [email protected] or to:
Attention: Missy Cashner, HR Generalist
One College Place, Campus Box 861
Williamsport, PA 17701
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. A pre-employment drug screening, criminal history check, and ACT 153 clearances will be conducted post offer.
One College Place
Campus Box 861
Williamsport, PA 17701