Applications due 08/24/20
Location: 775 West End Blvd. Winston-Salem, NC 27101, USA
This Associate Head Coach will report to the Director of Competitive Swimming & Head Coach and will be a key part of the TYDE Staff Leadership Team. In accordance with the Association’s and Branch’s policies and procedures, Associate Head Coach assists the Head Swim Coach in providing direct leadership, planning, instruction, and motivation for all team members; dedicated to strengthening our community.
Some key responsibilities of this position will be to lead select group practices and supervise development of coaches. Additional responsibilities include recruiting new swimmers, fundraising, Y Annual Giving Campaign, working with the Head Coach in program development and to organize season practice and meet schedules, and assisting with the organization of home swim meets. This is a full time position. Schedule will vary based on practice and meet schedules. Evening and weekend availability is required in order to coach practices and support athletes at swim meets.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- A passion for swimming with a minimum of five (5) years experience coaching competitive swimmers while creating leaders in and out of the pool is required. YMCA experience preferred. A bachelor’s degree is desirable.
- All YMCA full-time coaches who work with competitive swimmers must maintain current certifications in the following: Lifeguarding, Safety Training for Swim Coaches (including in-water), CPR, First Aid, and Y Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving and YMCA Legally Required Training or have ability to obtain within 60 days.
- All coaches must also maintain active membership with USA swimming and appropriate certifications to include: Background Check, APT, Foundations 101 & 201, USAS Rules & Regs or have ability to obtain within 60 days. ASCA membership is a plus.
- Must have thorough experience with HyTek Team Manager, Meet Manager, and Team Unify. Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Applications, and Daxko a plus.
- Experience with multi-site operations is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must have the ability to communicate with people in a positive but firm manner and possess mature judgment, sound decision-making, and be a team player capable of developing and maintaining harmonious relationships with all participants, staff, and the general public.
- Has an attitude of continual personal and professional development.
- Is innovative in approach and is able to maintain knowledge of the latest research and developments in swimming and swim coaching.
- Has high personal and professional ethical standards.
- Must present an appearance and an image consistent with the YMCA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and on the pool deck; remain alert with no lapses of consciousness; see and observe swimmers in the water and on the pool deck; meet any strength and lifting requirements.
- The employee is required to stand or walk the majority of the shift; the employee is frequently required to push, pull, balance, bend, twist, squat, kneel and reach; the employee must be able to lift and or move objects up to 20 pounds. The employee must be able to lift a small to average sized child. The employee is regularly required to see, hear and talk.
- The employee is frequently exposed to pool chemicals and cleaning supplies.
- The work environment includes the swimming pool with some possible outdoor exposure during the workday. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones and photocopiers.
- Directly coaches at least one practice group: level TBD.
- Attends swim meets as directed by the Head Coach.
- Acts as team lead in supervising athletes at meets.
- Enforces attendance and discipline policies for swimmers.
- Overseas Management of Western Sites (Yadkin, Statesville and Wilkesboro).
- Be the primary coordinator of TYDE hosted swim meets, including planning, organization and preparation. Duty also includes creating meet files and overseeing individual and team entries.
- Primary coordinator of non-TYDE hosted meets including posting in Team Unify, overseeing team entries and sending entries to host teams.Communicate meet related deadlines and sign-ups. Pushing meet attendance through coaches and team emails. Communicating meet results.Assist in Team Travel Meet planning in partnership with team admin staff. Have ability to travel up to 30% of the time, including overnight travel.Assist Head Coach with staff trainings.
- Coordinate, track, and submit Y & USAS certifications for all coaches and staff.
- Coordinate, track, and submit USAS registrations/memberships for all competitive-level swim team members.
- Assist Head Coach in establishing seasonal practice schedules with staff leadership team.
- Take lead in working with YMCA NWNC staff to develop swim module/PE program for potential TYDE E-learning Academy program at select sites.
- Attend and participate in all pertinent meetings (team, LSC, etc.).
- Assist in providing educational information to parents.
- Attend activities and events as determined by Head Coach.
- Perform all other tasks and responsibilities as directed by Head Coach.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Apply online by clicking HERE
775 West End Blvd
Winston Salem, NC 27101
phone: 336 721 2100