LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Jan. 10, 2014) – Hollywood has long been inspired by the Olympic sporting world and vice-versa, but rarely do these two worlds have the chance to mix and mingle. On the eve of the 2014 Golden Globe Awards, Los Angeles will again welcome some of sports’ greatest names from across the world to celebrate this year’s Golden Globe Awards, and give a special send-off to the 2014 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams, with competition beginning three weeks later in Sochi, Russia. The 2014 event will continue to carry the torch initially lit by 2013 hosts Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Jon Bon Jovi, Stacy Keibler and Ryan Kavanaugh.
The second-annual “Gold Meets Golden” Globes Event will be hosted by a variety of Hollywood elite who are passionate about the Olympic and Paralympic Games, including Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, Ryan Kavanaugh, Bradley Cooper, Mark Wahlberg, Sofia Vergara, Adrien Brody, Chelsea Handler, Kerry Washington, Owen Wilson, and Hayden Panettiere (engaged to Olympic fiancé Wladimir Klitschko). Sports legends Magic Johnson and Arnold Schwarzenegger will round out the experience by hosting a table within the Globe Awards for a variety of winter and summer athletes.
The Hollywood team will join forces with popular and legendary Olympians including water polo player Tony Azevedo; gymnasts Mary Lou Retton, Nadia Comaneci, Bart Conner, Gabby Douglas, Carly Patterson, Nastia Liukin and Jake Dalton; figure skater Sasha Cohen; speed skaters Apolo Anton Ohno, Bonnie Blair and Dan Jansen; Paralympian sprint runner Jarryd Wallace, track & field’s Bruce Jenner, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Alyson Felix, Carmelita Jeter, Will Claye and DeeDee Trotter; diver Greg Louganis; swimmers Nathan Adrian, Rebecca Soni, Eric Shanteau, John Naber, Jessica Hardy and Summer Sanders; freeskier Nick Goepper; fencer Tim Morehouse; beach volleyball players Kerri Walsh Jennings, Misty May Treanor, April Ross and Jen Kessy; original ‘Dream Team’ basketball player Magic Johnson, and ice hockey player Caitlin Cahow (recently announced as members of President Barack Obama’s Presidential Delegation for the Opening Ceremony of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games). More Olympian and Paralympian names will be announced shortly.
Hollywood and the Olympic Games have had a long and successful history of intersection. Popular films such as Chariots of Fire, Cool Runnings, Miracle, Blades of Glory, Ali, International Velvet, The Cutting Edge and many more have all featured the Olympic Games as their backdrop. A special tribute reel will feature content of these favorite silver screen scenes, combined with unforgettable Olympic moments.
The event will be supported by a variety of companies that work with Hollywood and sponsor the U.S. Olympic Committee, including:
- The Coca-Cola Company – The longest continuous partner of the Olympic Games since 1928, The Coca-Cola Company will display a unique collection of Olympic memorabilia and — as the presenting sponsor of the Olympic Torch Relay — will also showcase Olympic Torches dating back to Barcelona 1992. coca-cola.com/theolympics/
- Procter & Gamble – The company behind everyday brands like Crest, Gillette and Pampers, P&G will feature its Sochi 2014 “Pick Them Back Up” chapter to the “Thank You, Mom” Campaign, recognizing that behind each Olympic athlete, there is a mom who helped get them there. youtube.com/proctergamble.
- Hilton HHonors™ – who supports the Olympic movement in many ways, from providing a good night’s sleep to top competitors, coaches, and families who are dreaming of winning gold to sponsoring Team USA™ on their journeys to success, has provided accommodations for several of the attending Olympians. http://www.hhonorssponsorships.com/usolympicpartnership/
As well as:
- Relativity Media – A next-generation studio engaged in multiple aspects of entertainment and sports management. relativitymedia.com
- Natrol/MRI Performance – Keeping families and athletes happy and healthy through 30 years of uncompromised quality. natrol.com
“Gold Meets Golden” will also launch a special online charity auction of various Hollywood experiences and rare Olympic memorabilia and adventures to benefit Team USA and the U.S. Olympic Committee (TeamUSA.org). Auction items available at online charity auction site Charitybuzz include four VIP tickets to exclusive parties to celebrate the Games alongside Olympic legends at Team USA Clubs in LA (Feb. 7) and Vail, Colo. (Feb. 15), official Team USA apparel, and a Cola-Cola snowboard to be signed by the party attendees. The auction will launch Jan. 12 and will run through late January at charitybuzz.com/USOC.
The special “Gold Meets Golden” occasion is developed and managed by CW3PR and will take place at the Beverly Hilton Rooftop, within the context of the annual Globes bash produced by NBC, Universal, Focus Features and E! Entertainment.
Brant Feldman, who represents Water Polo legend and Gold Meets Golden attendee Tony Azevedo, said the event is an exciting opportunity for Olympic atheletes.
“Its great that in Hollywood they appreciate the excellence of our nation’s best athletes and give them the opportunity to meet, mingle and chat with the greatest actors of our time,” Feldman said. “This expands their window for America to see and acknowledge their achievements at the same time. ”
This press release was provided to SwimSwam courtesy of Gold Meets Golden.