The latest version of the Colorado High School rankings, compiled by Rob Nasser of Mountain Vista High School, have been released, and there’s a new leader in the state’s 5A classification – for the biggest schools.
Fairview High School now sits 16 points ahead of defending champions Fossil Ridge. That’s the same margin that Fossil Ridge held in the season’s first rankings, released just before Christmas.
The swap comes in a week where Fossil Ridge was idle, but Fairview swam very fast at, and won, the Boulder County Invite. That included beating #5 Regis Jesuit by almost 200 points.
Among the highlights for Fairview was a new season-best 2:10.14 from Mya Drost-Parra to win the girls’ 200 IM that moves her up to 9th in the Class 5A rankings. Amelie Lessing also swam a season-best in the 100 fly to win in 56.97, while the deep Knights swept all 3 relays.
The rankings early in the season are a bit skewed – they don’t filter to the state-championship-max of 4-per-event, and Fairview has 5 swimmers ranked in the top 10 of the 100 fly, for example. The scoring does, however, limit athletes to the maximum 2 individual events.
But, in spite of Fossil Ridge’s firepower at the top, Fairview showed this week that they’ve got enough depth to make the class competitive when the state championship meet rolls around in early February.
In Class 4A, Rampart has grown their lead over Cheyenne Mountain, now up to 63 points, while in 3A, Longmont remains ahead of Pueblo County by 24 points.
Notes from Nasser on methodology:
- A team scores points just like a championship meet by placing an athlete or relay in the top 16 and points are awarded in that fashion.
- Adjustments have been made that account for athletes ranked in more than 2 individual events so that the scores are not skewed from one athlete/school.
- The main reason for this is to hopefully generate more publicity for all of the kids who have worked so hard for it and swimming and diving in general.
- This is geared more for prediction of how the state championship meets will turn out, rather than how a dual meet against two teams will fare.
- Times/scores have been pulled in only from data submitted to MaxPreps. If you do not see times in there that should be, then you most likely did not submit them. This should help to motivate people/coaches to submit them in a timely manner. (Hint: Submit your meets to MaxPreps ASAP)
- An exhaustive listing of all submitted times is located at MaxPreps.com.
- If there is a media outlet that you would like me to include when I send these out, please let me know and I will add them in.