ITHACA, N.Y. – The Cornell men’s swimming and diving team has welcomed 10 newcomers who will join the program for the 2016-17 campaign. Eight swimmers who have competed in all four strokes and two divers will help the Big Red look to improve on last season’s fifth-place finish at the Ivy League championships.
Fr. * Breast/IM * Garden City, N.Y. (Garden City HS)
100 Breast: 55.69; 200 Breast: 2:01.89; 400 IM 4:02.81
• Brown was a two-time all-Long Island swimmer while competing at Garden City HS.
• Swimming the breaststroke and the IM, he was part of four sectional title teams and was a part of the 2015 New York state champions.
• He captained the team as a senior.
• Named Nassau Swimmer of the Year as a senior.
• Swam club for the Long Island Aquatic Club.
Fr. * Free/Back * Centerville, Ohio (Centerville HS)
100 Back: 48.67; 200 Back: 1:49.51; 100 Free: 45.28
• Curtis was a four-year state qualifier and finalist while swimming at Centerville HS.
• A five-time school record holder, he won the Ohio state championship in the 100 back as a senior.
• Was a 2016 Olympic Trials qualifier in the 100 back, finishing 129th in the country.
• Was the 2016 NCSA junior national champion in the 50 back.
• Four-time NISCA All-American and a 13-time GWOC champion.
Fr. * Free/IM * Manheim, Pa. (Home Schooled)
500 Free: 4:31.75; 1650 Free: 15:34.55; 200 IM: 1:52.68
• Daniel was an All-American in the 500 free while competing for Five Star Swim Club.
• He was a three-time USA Swimming Scholastic All-American.
• Won state gold in the 200 IM and 500 free as a senior and four other state medals during his career.
• Was a six-time all-state selection from 2014-16.
Fr. * Free/Breast * Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Pine Crest School)
100 Breast: 57.58; 200 Breast: 2:11.03
• Graff was a USA Swimming high school All-American at Pine Crest School.
• Was a three-time USA Swimming Scholastic All-American.
• Two-time team captain was also a two-time team MVP.
• Named to the Miami Herald first-team all-county squad as a senior.
• Led team to a state runner-up finish in 2015.
• Was a two-time winter Junior Olympic national qualifier for Pine Crest Swimming.
Fr. * Dive * Lodi, Calif. (Saint Mary’s HS)
1 Meter: 410.20; 3 Meter: 399.95
• A four-time league champion at Saint Mary’s HS, Geundert was also a two-time state finalist.
• Four times was named most valuable male diver.
• Was a two-time sectional champion, on the junior varsity as a freshman and on the varsity as a senior.
• Named to NISCA Scholastic All-America team.
• Was a six-time junior zone qualifier and a regional champion on both the 1-meter and platform.
• Was a Junior Olympic age group finalist three times on the Delta Valley Divers.
Fr. * Free * Onalaska, Wis. (Onalaska HS)
50 Free: 20.74; 100 Free: 46.68
• Won the state title in the 50 free as a senior at Onalaska HS.
• Was an all-state selection in both the 50 and 100 free.
• Named team MVP three times.
• Was under All-America consideration in the 50 free as a senior.
• Placed fifth in the 50 free at the 2016 YMCA National Championships.
Fr. * Dive * Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview HS)
1 Meter: 355.10; 3 Meter: 358.45
• Kilen was a two-time all-state diver while competing at Eastview HS.
• Named all-conference in each of his final three seasons.
• Won a pair of sectional titles, including as a senior captain.
• Named Eastview Diver of the Year and Eastview Scholar Athlete of the Year as a senior.
Fr. * Free * Cheltenham, Pa. (William Penn Charter School)
50 Free: 20.66; 100 Free: 45.60; 100 Fly: 50.00
• Was a three-time All-American at William Penn Charter School.
• Owns team records in the 50 and 100 free.
• Swam lead-off leg on two All-America 200 medley relay squads.
• Was a two-time all-league and USA Swimming Scholastic All-American.
• Captained both the water polo and swimming teams.
Fr. * Free/Fly * Mission Viejo, Calif. (Santa Margarita Catholic HS)
200 Free: 1:38.96; 500 Free: 4:28.10; 1000 Free: 9:23.81
• Morizono was part of the 2013-14 league championship team at Santa Margarita Catholic HS.
• Placed third in the CIF championships as a senior.
Fr. * Free/Fly/Back/Breast * Pittsburgh, Pa. (Upper St. Clair HS)
100 Fly: 49.22; 100 Back: 50.36; 100 Free: 46.33
• Wong was a seven-time medalist at the state championships at Upper St. Clair HS.
• Won a state title as part of the 200 medley relay squad, setting a state record in the process.
• Was a three-time runner-up at the state championship as a senior (100 butterfly and 200 medley and 400 free relays).
• Won four district titles and was a runner-up two other times, helping his team set a WPIAL record in the 200 medley relay.
• Was a six-time All-American and a three time USA Swimming Scholastic All-American.
• Owns the school record in the 100 breast.
This news story is courtesy of Cornell University.