With 2021 wrapping up, SwimmingStats has compiled its most liked-posts of the year.
Although a majority of the posts came from the 2020 Olympic Games, there were some notable exceptions, including several posts from later in the year. Both of the exceptions came during the SCM season, highlighting world records by Kyle Chalmers and Emre Sakci in the 100 freestyle and 50 breaststroke, respectively.
Like SwimSwam’s Most-Liked Instagram Photos and Videos of 2021, American Caeleb Dressel was featured in several of the top posts, with 3 out of the 9 most-liked posts featuring his record-breaking performances in Tokyo.
SwimmingStat’s Most Liked Posts of 2021
- Katie Ledecky Climbs the List of Olympic Swimmers with the Most Individual Gold Medals
With 6 individual Olympic gold medals, Ledecky only trails Michael Phelps for the most all-time. Ledecky has only ever one Olympic gold medal in a relay when she helped the US women’s 4×200 freestyle relay win gold in 2016.
8. Ledecky and Dressel Establish Themselves Amongst the Swimmers With the Most Olympic Gold Medals in History.
Ledecky has won 7 Olympic gold medals across her 3 appearances, while Dressel has also earned 7 gold medals across 2 Olympic Games.
- Caeleb Dressel’s 100 Butterfly Olympic Record
Out of the second semi-final of the 100 butterfly, Dressel set the Olympic Record for the second time that day, after already shattering it in prelims. He would go on to lower it even further in finals (but more on that below).
- Kyle Chalmers Drops 100 Freestyle (SCM) World Record
Less than 2 years after heart surgery, Chalmers fired off a historical performance at the FINA World Cup, including his first individual world record.
- Emre Sakci Crushes 50 Breaststroke World Record
In the closing days of 2021, Sakci crushed the 25 second barrier in the 50 breaststroke, becoming the first man to ever go 24 seconds in the event.
- Most Decorated Swimmers at the 2020 Olympics
- Caeleb Dressel Shatters World Record en Route to 100 Butterfly Gold
After setting the Olympic Record multiple times, Dressel shattered his own world record during finals, earning Olympic gold in the process.
- Dressel’s Gold Medal Winning 100 Freestyle Olympic Record
In a fierce battle with the aforementioned Chalmers, Dressel prevailed with a new Olympic Record in the 100 freestyle, swimming a time of 47.02.
1 . Emma McKeon Joins List of Most Decorated Swimmers at a Single Olympics
With her 7 medals, McKeon became the most decorated female swimmer at a single Olympics also.