The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has cleared Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) swimmers Aleksandr Kudashev and Veronika Andrusenko to compete at the 2020 Olympic Games beginning on July 23rd in Tokyo, Japan.
Per the statement on the All Russian Swimming Federation website, the organization conveys simply, ‘CAS case won. All claims have been dropped. Veronica Andrusenko and Alexander Kudashev will perform at the Olympic Games in Tokyo.’
The most recent FINA press release also rendered no additional details, reiterating how ‘FINA asserted ADRV’s [anti-doping rule violations] against the athletes and provisionally suspended them on the basis of evidence supplied by WADA, and stemming from WADA’s examination of materials recovered from the former Moscow Anti-Doping Laboratory, including the Laboratory Information Management System. Evidentiary packages had not previously been supplied against these athletes when WADA prosecuted the strongest cases resulting from its Operation LIMS for sanctioning.’
The CAS procedural document merely stated the following:
The Court of Arbitration for Sport rules that:
1. The claim filed by the Fédération Internationale de Natation against Ms Veronika Andrusenko and Mr Aleksandr Kudashev dated 14 July 2021 is dismissed.
2. The provisional suspension imposed on Ms Veronika Andrusenko and Mr Aleksandr Kudashev, pursuant to Article 7.4.2 of the 2021 FINA Doping Control Rules is lifted.
3. The costs of these arbitration proceedings, to be determined and served to the Parties by the CAS Court Office, shall be borne by the Fédération Internationale de Natation in their entirety.
4. Fédération Internationale de Natation shall pay a contribution to the legal fees and expenses of CHF 1,500 (one thousand five hundred Swiss Francs) to Ms Veronika Andrusenko and CHF 1,500 (one thousand five hundred Swiss Francs) to Mr Aleksandr Kudashev.
5. All other motions or prayers for relief are dismissed.
The swimmers’ clearance means that 2019 World University Games gold medalist Kudashev is back in the men’s 200m fly field while Andrusenko returns to the women’s 200m freestyle fold.