2021 TYR Senior Metropolitan Summer Championships
- July 15–18, 2021
- Eisenhower Park, Nassau County Aquatic Center
- 50m (LCM)
- Championship Central
- Thursday Results
- Friday Results
- Saturday Results
- Sunday Results
Billy Swartwout from Long Island Aquatic Club cruised to an easy victory in the men’s 200 back, going 2:05.15. Asphalt Green’s Tristan Pragnell was second to the wall (2:07.18). 14-year-old Sean Green of LIAC was just off his prelims time of 2:08.23 with his third-place finish (2:08.51), but both swims made the 18&U Summer Championships Bonus standard and were a huge improvement from his seed time of 2:14.39.
Green also dropped a ton of time (29 seconds, to be exact) in winning the 1500 free with 15:56.57. He was under the Summer Juniors standard by 8.5 seconds. 15-year-old Patrick Broderick of Long Island Express dropped 16 seconds to place 2nd with 16:19.10. Badger Swim Club’s Max Hardart improved his seed time by 12.3 seconds for 3rd (16:21.80).
Swartwout doubled up with a 52.14 win in the 100 free. Timothy Park from BGC–N. Westchester Marlins dropped .36 to come in second place with 52.27. Long Island Aquatic Club’s JC Castrillon took .8 off his seed time to touch out Asphalt Green’s Adell Sabovic, 63.64 to 52.89, for third.
Tess Howley of Long Island Aquatic Club kicked off the women’s meet with a 6.1-second drop to win the 200 back in 2:12.95 and rocket into the 52nd spot all-time for 15-16 girls. Westchester Aquatic Club’s Claire Weinstein was runner-up with an improvement from her seed time of 1.4 seconds (2:17.54). Kate Sommerstad from Three Village Swim Club clocked in at a PB of 2:20.14 for third place.
Howley was runner-up in the 100 free, coming within .01 of her lifetime best but missing the top step of the podium by .10. Her LIAC teammate Cavan Gormsen posted a 56.50 to get the win. Weinstein was third with 57.06. BGNW’s Sabrina Johnston dropped .34 to finish 4th with 57.29.
Badger Swim Club swept the podium in the women’s 200 fly. Hana Shimizu-Bowers scored a Summer Nationals cut with her 1.1-second drop and winning time of 2:14.11. Teammate Joy Jiang improved her seed time by .5 to finish 2nd in 2:14.52, also coming in under the senior national standard. Vanessa Chong was 3rd with 2:15.02, a best time by .3.
Other event winners:
- Team Suffolk’s Denise Phelan won the 200 breast handily, clocking a 2:34.35 to beat Kate Anderson of Westchester Aquatic Club (2:39.61) and Sophia Zhang of Asphalt Green (2:41.00).
- Top-seeded Dylan Rhee of AGUA took care of the field in the men’s 200 breast, going 2:16.70 to win by over 8 seconds. Rhee also won the 100 breast on Friday. Team Suffolk 14-year-old Noah Cakir was runner-up with 2:24.92. LIAC’s Matthew Chang dropped 3.9 seconds to finish 3rd with 2:25.41.
- Christian Lee of Badger won the 200 fly in 2:04.97, taking 1.1 seconds off his seed time and notching a Summer Juniors cut. John Laidlaw of GBNW was runner-up in 2:07.95. Lee’s teammate Austin Lara was 3rd (2:09.09).
- Mary McKenna of Long Island Express won the women’s 1500 free in 17:09.87. Long Island Aquatic Club swept the next six spots with Annabelle Corcoran (17:17.80) leading the charge.
Team Scores – Day 4
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 1073
- Westchester Aquatic Club – 399
- Badger Swim Club – 396
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 375
- BGC–N. Westchester Marlins – 330.5
- Three Village Swim Club – 101
- Long Island Express – 74.5
- Phoenix Aquatic Club – 64
- Team Suffolk – 54
- 92nd Street Flying Dolphins – 29
- Hauppauge Athletic Association – 28
- Club Fit Jefferson Valley – 20
- Unattached – 13
- Queens Aquatic Club – 11
- Condors Swim Club / Huntington YMCA – 10
- Long Island Aquatic Club – 892.5
- Asphalt Green Unified Aquatics – 507
- Badger Swim Club – 394.5
- BGC–N. Westchester Marlins – 382.5
- Phoenix Aquatic Club – 185
- Long Island Express – 167
- NYS Aquatics – 93
- Patriot Swim Team – 92
- Three Village Swim Club – 75
- 92nd Street Flying Dolphins – 70
- Team Suffolk – 46
- Trident Aquatic Club – 39
- Condors Swim Club – 34.5
- Queens Aquatic Club – 26
- Matchpoint NYC – 15
- Hauppauge Athletic Association – 13
- Huntington YMCA – 10
- Freedom Aquatics – 8
- Westchester Aquatic Club – 7