AUSTIN FUTURES CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Dates: Thursday, August 4 – Sunday, August 7, 2016
- Location: University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- Meet website
- Psych Sheets
- SwimSwam Preview
Lakeside Aquatic Club took an early lead in the women’s and overall team standings last night behind solid distance and 800 free relay performances, and is in position to expand their lead tonight. After starting the session modestly, Lakeside had at least two swimmers finish in the top six in three straight events, including a 2-3 finish in the men’s 100 breaststroke from Tristen Disibio (1:04.95) and Jerik Wong (1:05.12), and a 1-2-5 finish in the women’s 100 fly from Kara Eisenmann (1:01.63), Lauren Pitzer (1:02.13), and 14-year-old Katherine Zenick (1:02.52). Pitzer, the #6 recruit in our recent Class of 2017 rankings, was last night’s 800 freestyle champion (8:44.63).
Other highlights from Friday morning’s prelim session:
- Reilly Lanigan of Nasa Wildcat Aquatics (2:03.22) and Grant Reed of Longhorn Aquatics (1:52.23) are the top 200 freestyle seeds by comfortable margins. Notably, 15-year-old up-and-comer Jack Dolan touched second in 1:53.03
- Two elders grabbed the top seeds in the 100 breaststrokes: 19-year-olds Lauren Thompson of Nitro Swimming and LSU is the women’s top seed in 1:12.91, and Missouri State’s Nicholas Theunissen touched first for the men in 1:04.12
- 16-year-old Shane Casas cut over a second from his seed to earn the middle lane tonight in the 100 fly (55.28)
- Victoria Edwards of Longhorn Aquatics dropped 10 seconds from her seed time in the 400 IM in 4:57.01. She’ll be the top seed tonight, with Reilly Lanigan, the top seed in the 200 free, just behind at 4:58.88
- Three swimmers are within less than a half-second of each other in the men’s 400 IM: Grant Thompson of Austin Swim Club (4:32.21), Mason Tenney of Longhorn Aquatic (4:32.32), and Hudson Smith of Brenham Swim Club (4:32.57)
Tonight’s finals session begins at 6 PM Central time.