The following is a press release courtesy of Auburn University:
Auburn’s Camila Jersonsky, Fraser McKean nominated for SEC’s H. Boyd McWhorter Award
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Diver Fraser McKean and volleyball player Camila Jersonsky have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Auburn University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2015 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 30.
Highlights of Auburn’s nominees include:
Fraser McKean, Diving, Auburn
- NCAA Elite89 Award nominee
- Won the 2015 SEC title in platform diving
- Four-time All-American
- Earned the best two finishes by an Auburn diver at the NCAA Championships since 2010, placing fifth on tower with personal best score of 454.85 and sixth on the 3-meter springboard at the 2015 national meet
- Majoring in exercise science with a 3.47 cumulative GPA
- SEC Academic Honor Roll
- First Team All-SEC selection
- Four-time NCAA Zone Diving Championships Qualifier, advancing to the NCAA Men’s Championships in 2014 and 2015
Camila Jersonsky, Volleyball, Auburn
- SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year (2013) – the first Auburn player since 2007 to win the award
- Selected to the Capital One Academic All-America First Team (2013) and Capital One All-District First Team (2013)
- Named All-Southeastern Conference (2013) and All-SEC Preseason (2013)
- SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Finished career as the program’s all-time leader in hitting percentage (.354) and led the Tigers in hitting percentage during all four seasons at Auburn, hitting over .350 each year
- Finished in the top 10 in four career blocking categories – sixth in total blocks (368) and block assists (317), seventh in blocks per set (0.92) and 10th in solo blocks (51)
- Competed with Argentina’s national team on multiple occasions during her career at Auburn
- Double majoring in polymer and fiber engineering and electrical engineering with a 3.86 cumulative GPA
- Four-year letter-winner at Auburn
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Cory Whitsett of the Alabama golf team and Shannon Vreeland of the Georgia swimming and diving team.