2019 U.S. OPEN SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- December 4th-7th, 2019
- McCauley Aquatic Center, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
- LCM (50m), Prelims/Finals
- Psych sheets
- Pre-scratch timeline
- Live stream (all sessions beside A finals on Friday/Saturday)
- Live results
Reported by Anne Lepesant.
WOMEN’S 200M IM – FINAL
- American record: 2:06.15, 7/27/2009, Ariana Kukors
- U.S. Open record: 2:08.32, 7/29/2018, Kathleen Baker
- U.S. Open Meet record: 2:10.71, 12/5/2019, Melanie Margalis
- Melanie Margalis, Saint Petersburg/Georgia – 2:08.84
- Alex Walsh, Nashville Aquatic Club – 2:09.01
- Torri Huske, Arlington Aquatic Club – 2:11.70
Alex Walsh of Nashville Aquatic Club was out first in the fly, followed by Torri Huske of Arlington Aquatic Club and Saint Petersburg Aquatics/Georgia Bulldogs’ Melanie Margalis, who had broken the meet record in prelims. Walsh held onto the lead at the halfway mark, with Huske and Margalis still in second and third. Margalis split a 36.2 on the breaststroke to pull within a couple of tenths of Walsh at the 150 wall, while Emma Barksdale of Gamecock Aquatics moved into third. Margalis powered home in the freestsyle to take down her own U.S. Open Meet record with 2:08.84. Walsh was also under the meet mark with a 2:09.01 (PB by 2.2 seconds), while Huske finished third in 2:11.70. That performance moved Huske to 7th all-time in the 15-16 age group.
That was a personal best for Alex Walsh by 2.23 seconds (2:11.24 prior PB) and a new National Age Group Record for 17-18 girls. The previous mark of 2:10.02 had been set by North Baltimore’s Elizabeth Pelton in 2011.