Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
CINCINNATI – Xavier men’s and women’s swimming announced an eight-meet regular season schedule for spring 2021 as the Musketeers prepare for the 2021 BIG EAST Championships, held in Geneva, Ohio from April 7-10.
Xavier’s men will look for a third-straight team championship at the conference meet, with eight All-BIG EAST performers returning. The women are coming off a third-place finish at the conference meet which saw the Musketeers win a program-best three BIG EAST event championships, including a pair of relays. Xavier’s women return seven all-conference performers.
Schedules and championship information is subject to change based on local COVID-19 developments.
January 23 – 1:00 PM
Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center – Louisville, Ky.
- Bellarmine is in its first season competing in NCAA Division I.
- At last season’s Great Lakes Valley Conference Championships, both teams set program records for total points. Bellarmine’s women accumulated 620 in placing sixth while the men amassed 429 in finishing ninth.
- Xavier faced Bellarmine last season, sweeping the Knights. The women won 195-61 while the men won 183-79.
January 29 – 5:00 PM
Keating Aquatic Center – Cincinnati, Ohio
- University of Cincinnati swimming and diving’s men finished runner-up at the 2020 American Athletic Conference Championship, with the title coming down to the final race. UC’s women finished third at the conference meet.
- Xavier faced Cincinnati last season, falling on both the men’s and women’s side.
- The Musketeer women collected three first place finishes during the meet, including a win in the 100 back for Brooke Atkins and a pair of wins in the freestyle sprints for 2020 graduate Emily Conners.
- The Xavier men collected a pair of event wins for Christian Thomas (50 free) and Jon Bernard (400 IM).
January 31 – 12:00 PM
Fishers High School – Fishers, Ind.
- At last season’s Butler Invite, Xavier’s men claimed the top spot of five teams, earning a combined 745 points. The men combined for eight, top individual finishes. Jon Bernard touched the wall first in three different events.
- The women’s squad earned a second-place finish, behind St. Louis with 746 points. Xavier’s women took the top spot in 10 different events throughout the day. Taylor Hogan had two top individual finishes. 2020 graduate Emily Conners had three, two relay and one individual.
February 6 – 1:00 PM
Corwin M. Nixon Aquatic Center – Oxford, Ohio
- Miami’s men finished second at last season’s MAC Championships, while the women finished fourth.
- Last season’s meet at Miami was canceled. The two teams last faced off in 2018-19, with the RedHawks winning on both sides.
Ball State (Women Only)
February 13 – 12:00 PM
Lewellen Aquatic Center – Muncie, Ind.
- Ball State finished eighth at last season’s MAC Championships.
- The Cardinals started the 2020-21 season in November and are currently 3-0 in meets with racing events, picking up wins over Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green and Bellarmine.
- Xavier last faced Ball State in a four-team meet with IUPUI and UIndy in January 2018, with the Musketeers sweeping the other three squads.
February 20 – 1:00 PM
Trumball Aquatic Center – Granville, Ohio
- Denison’s women are coming a 2020 season where they won the program’s 10th North Coast Athletic Conference Championship, while the men are coming off a second-place finish at the conference meet.
- Xavier last faced Denison last season, with both Musketeer squads falling in Granville.
- Taylor Hogan lead the way for the women with two top individual finishes, in the 100 fly and 400 IM.
- Christian Thomas (100 back, 100 free) and Andrew Martin (500 free, 1000 free) each had a pair of first place finishes, and Jon Bernard took the top spot in the 100 breast.
Hopeful Meet or Intrasquad
March 6 – 10:00 AM
Heidt Family Champions Center – Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Musketeers will host a home meet or intrasquad scrimmage as a tune up for the BIG EAST Championships.
- It will be the first official meet in the newly renovated Heidt Family Championships Center.
Indiana State w/ Missouri State
March 19-20 – 5:00 PM / 10:00 AM
Vigo County Aquatic Center – Terre Haute, Ind.
- Indiana State, which only fields a women’s squad, finished third in the Missouri Valley Conference Championships last season.
- Missouri State is coming off a season where the Bears swept the MVC Championships, with the women winning for the fourth-straight year.
- Xavier’s women faced Indiana State last season, falling 199-62.
2021 BIG EAST Championships
April 7-10 – 10:00 AM / 5:45 PM
SPIRE Institute – Geneva, Ohio
- This year’s BIG EAST Championship will be held at the SPIRE Institute, just outside of Cleveland. Prelims begin at 10:00 AM and finals start at 5:45 PM each day, except for opening night, Wednesday, April 7, when finals begin at 6:00 PM.
- Xavier’s men are coming off the program’s fifth overall and second straight BIG EAST Championship in 2020. Xavier collected three event championships, in the 1,650 free, 200 fly and 200 free relay, and had 32 All-Conference performances by 10 student-athletes.
- Xavier returns freestyle distance specialist Andrew Martin who led the Musketeers in individual points scored last season, winning the BIG EAST Championship in the 1,650 free with an NCAA B-Cut time, and collecting a pair of second-place finishes in the 200 free and 500 free, posting school records in all three races.
- Xavier’s women finished third, collecting three first place finishes along the way, including an individual title in the 200 fly for Taylor Hogan and relay titles in the 200 free relay and 400 free relay.