In their final dual meet of 2015, the University of Wyoming men’s swimming and diving team faced Pac-12 member Utah on Saturday in Green River, Wyoming at the Green River High School Aquatic Center. This marked the first meeting with the Utes since 2011, the last season Utah was a member of the Mountain West Conference.
And, as the meet came to an end, Wyoming finished their first half of the season off strong with a win over Utah, (173-127), winning ten out of a total 16 events.
“It was a great win for us,” Wyoming head coach Tom Johnson said. “I was very pleased with the number of events we were able to take this afternoon. Plenty of guys came ready to swim. We had a couple days off, so I was a little worried coming into this meet after the Purdue Invitational. I thought we competed very well from the start. I’m thrilled to walk out of here with a win, we knew Utah would be ready to compete and give us a fight.”
For Wyoming, senior Bryce Carter and junior Gabriel Rooker carried their team today, as they both took double wins home. Carter took first in the both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle, hitting 20.70 and 46.54, respectively, while Carter’s teammate, Rooker, took home two wins in both the breaststroke events, 100- (54.68) and 200-yard breaststroke (2:02.05).
For Utah, Senior Bence Király took home three out of the thirteen individual events today against Wyoming. In the 1000-yard freestyle event, Király took first with a time of 9:31.93. He continued his winning streak in both the 200-yard butterfly (1:48.77) and the 500-yard freestyle (4:40.41).
Other wins for Wyoming include:
- In both the 200-yard medley and 400-yard freestyle relay, Wyoming took first, hitting a 1:30.68 and 3:03.71, respectively. The 200-yard medley relay consisted of senior George Eglesfield, Gabriel Rooker, sophomore Kyle White, and Bryce Carter. The 400-yard freestyle relay consisted of Kyle White, Gabriel Rooker, freshmen Liam Metzsch, and Bryce Carter.
- Sophomore Slade Sheaffer won the 200-yard freestyle (1:41.77) with his teammate sophomore Ryan Ball winning the 200-yard backstroke (1:49.16). In the 200-yard IM, senior Ryan Nelson won the event with a 1:53.30.
- In diving, sophomore Austin Rettinghouse won the 3-meter diving event with a score of 357.61.
Other wins for Utah include:
- Sophomore Paul Ungur won a few events alongside his teammate, taking his first win of the meet in the 100-yard backstroke with a 49.52 and his second win in the 100-yard butterfly (50.66).
- In diving, senior Jake Crayne won the 1-meter diving event with a score of 366.38.
For full Results, click here.
“We had great fan support today,” Johnson added. “I want to thank Green River, it was a great turnout by this community and if it continues there is no question we’ll be back.”
The Utes men’s squad will take a break from competition until 2016, return to the pool on Jan. 23 where they will take on BYU. Wyoming will also take a break, starting their second half of their season against Denver (Jan. 9).